Marlin Firearms Forum > Marlin Firearms > Marlin Rimfires > marlin 880

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 02:13 AM   #1
husker7388

Likes Given: 1

Default marlin 880

How can i get this model 880 22lr shoot better groups? It shoots about a 2 1/2 group at 100 yards..i have a marlin 925r that shoots a 1/2 inch group at 100 yards all day..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 03:39 AM   #2
greyhawk50

Liked 590 Times on 410 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker7388 View Post
How can i get this model 880 22lr shoot better groups? It shoots about a 2 1/2 group at 100 yards..i have a marlin 925r that shoots a 1/2 inch group at 100 yards all day..
That's a pretty broad question. It could be fouling in the barrel and a good cleaning to remove lead and copper might help. It could be that the barrel needs to be floated. Maybe it doesn't like your choice of ammo, 22s are funny that way.
It could be that you need to remove a live round from the chamber, set the rifle aside, set another in it's place, and see if it improves any. :-))
Oops, I'll be getting another smartypants award in my PM box.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #3
jh45gun

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I would try different types of ammo. I would also do a trigger job on it which is pretty easy check at Rimfire Central there is instructions on doing it I did it on both my Marlin 80 DL's. The forerunner of the 880.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:01 AM   #4
SHOOTER13
FIREARM COLLECTOR
MF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 491 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 1028

Welcome to the Marlin Firearms Forum husker7388 !!

Good advice from the guy above... +1 on trying different brands / weights of ammo.

Not every firearm will shoot the ammo YOU want to use !

Old 09-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
husker7388

Thanks for your input.i have went as far as putting several different types of ammunition thru this rifle.from cheap to very expensive match ammunition and no luck..cleaned it real well..can it be the crown?

Old 09-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
jh45gun

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I doubt it is the crown as if your getting 2.5 inches at 100 yards if it was the crown it would be worse than that. Are you using a scope? Is every thing tight? that will make a difference. You said Several different Brands how many is several to you? Some folks get lucky and their guns are not as finicky with ammo as others. I would try a box of every thing you can put your hands on. A lot of guys try all the brands they can get and it might not matter cheap or expensive once you find a brand your gun likes then buy as much as you can out of that lot number if you can find it. Good Luck. It has been my experience that most 22 rifles shoot well with ammo it likes. The chore is finding that ammo. What kinda of groups are you getting at 25 yards or 50?

Old 09-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
husker7388

Lots of information from everyone thank you..so ok at 25 yards its around 3/4 inch group and then after that it gets squarely. Scope is tight using steel rings.i have used federal 711b,719,510..i have used winchester,wolf,Remington,eley,cci,and about five other brands.driving me crazy it has to be something simple but what? Scope tight,cleaned,trigger job and went thru alot of $$$ to find a good anmo it likes and nothing yet.so what you giys think should i give up on this rifle? My 925r shoots like a champ and its not a heavy barrel..crazy..i have a kid shoots silhouettes for a 4h team and even some other coaches cant figure this out..thanks

Old 09-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
coledew#27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can try recrowning the barrel. Midway usa has some inexpensive kits to do it with.

husker7388 Likes This 
Old 09-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #9
greyhawk50

Liked 590 Times on 410 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Not sure about the re-crowning kits. Sounds like a good deal.
My son had done a bubba job on a couple Mosin Nagants where he shortened the barrels, modified the stock and added a scope. He reformed the crown by using a round rotary file in a drill. Worked good for him. If you're convinced that is the problem, you don't have much to lose.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:10 AM   #10
husker7388

Well i reformed the crown and helped a little but unfortunately not alot..so this is a real head scratcher.any more ideas im all ears.it will hold a two inch group now but need to be a little tighter group.im willing to try anything else if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks folks for all of your inputs.

Quick Reply