.17HMR differences? (XT-17VR vs XT-17R)

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by 3demons, Feb 7, 2013.

1. 3demons

3demons New Member

Hey guys!

Just wanted to say thanks in advanced already for any help.

So i am set on buying a bolt action .17HMR with a synthetic stock. Now my question is what are the differences between the models for the synthetic stocks? Specifically, what are the differences between the XT-17VR, XT-17R, and XT-17SR?

My goal is to get the model that will allow me to shoot the farthest distance accurately, and i plan on shooting some pidgeons, ground squirrels, etc. I would assume that is one with a bull barrel, but the main marlin site is unclear (to me atleast) on which one that is. So if anyone could tell me the differences, that would be great. thanks again!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  2. 3demons

3demons New Member

3. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

The XT-17R has a blued 22"barrel, 1:9 twist. Adjustable rear sights. Synthetic Stock. 6lbs.

XT17-SR same as above except with Stainless Steel Barrel and front sight has hood.

XT17-VR has a blued 22" HEAVY VARMIT BARREL..comes with scope bases, drilled and tapped, also groved. No iron sights. Synthetic Stock. 6lbs.

All come wit 7 and 4 round Mag and Pro-Fire Adjustable Trigger

The VR with the Varmit Barrel will have less Barrel Harmonics (viberation) and should be more accurate than the tapered barrels.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  4. 3demons

3demons New Member

awesome thank you man!

5. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Getcha One...You'll like it. I have the 7X Varmit Barrel in .223 and ITS A TACK DRIVER. My grandson shots the 7X in .308 Youth Model with tapered Barrel an it SHINES also.

6. Centaur 1

Centaur 1 Member

No experience with the new XT-series rifles, but I own a 917-V that I bought 6 years ago. I haven't even seen one of the new XT's, so I'm not sure about the differences. My rifle has a birch stock and a heavy bull barrel. I smoothed and lightened the trigger and the gun is crazy accurate, at 100 yards it'll shoot holes through dimes all day long. I topped mine with a Mueller APV 4.5-14X40AO. This Mueller scope would be a bargain at double the price, but luckily it will only set you back $129.95

http://swfa.com/Mueller-APV-Riflescopes-C135.aspx

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  7. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

That looks like a pretty serious scope on that rifle Centaur1:eek: