1893 Marlin Garage Sale Find 32-40

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by LX Kid, Apr 21, 2012.

1. LX Kid

LX Kid Member

NEWBIE ALERT! Hello to all. Found this 1893 Marlin, in 32-40 Win, at a garage sale in Ruskin, Florida. Unfortunately all metal has been hot tank blued and looks almost like a new rifle. It has the 26' octagonal barrel and is in very good condition. It's not a first edition as the model number in on the upper tang. It came with a new reproduction stock that will have to sanded, stained and sealed. The seller said someone gave it to him and didn't know what happended to the original stock. The bore is in really great condition also. My phone camera did't take a very nice picture. If anyone's interested I can take a couple of better pictures a little later.

[​IMG]

2. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

so what kind of a deal did you get on it? looks and sounds nice. usually all i find at garage sales is rusty tools and old paperbacks!

3. LX Kid

LX Kid Member

I saw the Marlin hanging on pegboard hooks at the rear of the garage. I asked about it and he said an elderly lady's husband had passed away and gave it to him. I asked if he would like to sell it, and he paused a minute, and said he'd take $300 for it. I paused a minute and said I'd give him $250 and he took it. That's the only gun I've ever found at garage sales except BB guns. I'll post a couple more pics today.

4. LX Kid

LX Kid Member

5. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

You didnt buy that gun,you stoled it!:D

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Welcome to the Marlin Firearms Forum LX Kid !!

Beautiful find...

7. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Most excellent find. And - welcome to the forum.
    Deals like that come along but they are few and far between.

Grey

8. LX Kid

LX Kid Member

I've just ordered brass, bullet and dies with the anticipation of shooting it soon. I'm gonna use 170 gr jacketed FN soft point bullets. Doing the math it looks like for 50 rounds it's going to cost $1.70 to load the first 50 and then about $20 for the second 50 rounds because the bullets come 100 per box.

9. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

very good deal! i see that you have an aftermarket buttstock for it. going to be hard to get it to match the forend stock, but it can be done. just take your time and work with it and you will end up with a nice looking shooter when finished. enjoy it! BTW, welcome to the forum.

10. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard you Lucky B@#&$@#...ah..uhmm...I mean LX Kid. :eek: Yeah I'm jealous, but it sounds like it found a good home. Congrats.

11. jimtaylor

jimtaylor New Member

Well, because of the down economy many of us get pressured to find income. It has made a cottage industry of the once civilized spring cleaning activity of holding garage sales. Some municipalities have taken exception and started cracking down on so-called "extreme" yard sales.From the source I gathered, According to Tagsellit.com, Americans hold about 45,000 garage sales every weekend.Imagine that. Well,because of this, more and more, cash-strapped Americans have been organizing garage sales as a way to raise income rather than as a way to clear out old, unwanted stuff. Resource for this article: Cities crack down on extreme garage sales.

12. jimtaylor

jimtaylor New Member

Well, the down economy has pressured many to find income in any way they can. It has made a cottage industry of the once civilized spring cleaning activity of holding garage sales. Some municipalities have taken exception and started cracking down on so-called "extreme" yard sales.From the source I gathered, According to Tagsellit.com, Americans hold about 45,000 garage sales every weekend.Imagine that. Well,because of this, more and more, cash-strapped Americans have been organizing garage sales as a way to raise income rather than as a way to clear out old, unwanted stuff. Resource for this article: Cities crack down on extreme garage sales.

13. LX Kid

LX Kid Member

My brass, bullets and dies arrived this afternoon. Still waiting for the crimper die to arrive. The crimper die was the hardest thing to find. Going to have to crimp at the bullet base to keep the jacketed bullet from falling in and at the top to attain proper pressure build up. Getting anxious now.

14. Rooster59

Rooster59 Well-Known Member

REALLY nice find LX! What a great rifle. Even in the condition it was in that was a steal.

Not sure about your description of crimping those jacketed bullets though. Not that the process is wrong, but it seems like a sacrilege to use jacketed bullets in that rifle. Think cast lead!

Enjoy it brother.

15. LX Kid

LX Kid Member

Yes I'm still around! Haven't done anything on the stock as of yet. It's been soooo hot outside I just haven't done much of anything. The wife is not so agreeabel to let me work on the stock inside the house. "Go Figure!"

16. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Nice to know you are still among us. Post some new pics whenever you get a chance to work on that stock. One thing nice about the midwest....Basements. I can do some gun tinkering down there and the wife doesn't complain as long as it doesn't get too stinky.

17. Windy

Windy Well-Known Member Supporting

I am late to this party but what a great rifle you found. Congratulations.

18. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

LX Kid...hope you don't mind

I touched up your picture. Nice rifle BTW. I went to a yard sale once and all I got was a new wife. I stay away from em nowadays. :eek:

Attached Files:

19. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Do NOT, I repeat DO NOT use Minwax stain!!! It might be the best advertised, but its really cheap crap.
    It is literally Sherwin-Williams off-brand stain...made for Walmarts/other storefronts at low cost...and low quality.

Go get some serious quality stain like Formby's or General Finishes or just about ANYTHING other than Minwax!!
    In fact, you're in south Fla...go to the nearest Simply Woods or Wood You store!!!
    Take the forend off the rifle and bring it with you...they'll help you color match it!!
    http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Wood.You.Furniture.813-915-9600/map?novum=1

Yes, us old woodworkers are PICKY about stain!!
    High Quality Stain means a High Quality Job!!

20. DunRanull

DunRanull Member

Nice rifle, good deal! I'm always out of town when deals like this float past (remember, Pelosi said our streets are "awash with guns!"). Good thing/bad thing, someone probably ruined a nice old rifle, otoh it's fixable and you can use it and actually hunt and carry it with a clear conscience! Lucky man, I'm fighting off a baaaaad case of jealousy!