1894 Accuracy?

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by CallMaker, Feb 25, 2013.

1. CallMaker

CallMaker Active Member

I'm thinking about a 1894 in .357 or .44.

Can anyone give me an idea of accuracy I might expect. I'm talking about "practical" accuracy out to 75 yards or so.

Thanks in advance.

2. m16triumph

m16triumph Member

Hi there, I have an 1894 in .357 and have had some accuracy issues with it. After much experimentation I have discovered it is sensitive to the type of ammo I put through it. Surprised me a little just how much it was affected.
    PRVI SWC loads would not group at all. It seems to like RNFP bullets and now I'm reloading I'm getting good accuracy at 50 yards.
    Getting about 1.5" on a good day with 158grain bullets and 3.9grains vv N320 powder in any brass including the PRVI stuff!
    I really like the little rifle and know others with .44 who rate them too.

3. CallMaker

CallMaker Active Member

Thanks m16triumph. That's good to know.

Ed

4. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Hey CallMaker....
    Here's an idea of what you can expect from an 1894. Every rifle will be a little different, but they all will have a sweet spot. The fun part for you is finding that spot. I have owned all three of the 1894 calibers. My favorite is the .41mag. This group is at 50yds. Certainly deer hunting accuracy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  5. CallMaker

CallMaker Active Member

Thanks Hyph. That's minute of deer for sure. I was thinking deer from less than 75 yards so that kind of accuracy would work just fine. Did not know they ever made a .41, thanks for the heads up. I'm trying to find one to trade into so just about any flavor would work.

6. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

That`s minute of Beer bottle any day...I`ll fore go any comment on the "MADE IN CHINA" tape measure :D

7. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Thanks for letting me slide Oldbrass.

CallMaker...I always forget that Marlin made the 1894 in a CL model for a short time. The calibers were 25-20 and 32-20. Neither one suited to deer hunting, but fun none the less. I have also heard guys say they have had them chambered in 44-40. I have never seen one. If you plan on using it for deer hunting I would stay with the 41mag, 44mag or the 45colt. All three of these can be down loaded for plinking or punching paper.
    Good luck with your search.

8. CallMaker

CallMaker Active Member

I had one in .25-20 years ago. With some effort it would shoot dinner plate sized groups at 50 yards. Played with it for about a year and traded it off.

You are right about the bigger calibers and that's where I'm headed.

Thanks.

Ed

9. wsmrto

wsmrto Member

I have a 94 Limited Edition (1 of 250) 16 in barrel in 45 and I am really in love with it. It's lightweight, very accurate, quick to point and I can reload the 45 to every need possible; from paper to mule deer, Javalina, feral Pig to heavy 350 grain Elk loads. Even with my 65 year old eyes I can use Skinner peep sights or I now have a short little 2-7 X scope on it. It's a great all around carbine size rifle. I also have a Win 94 in 45 with 20" barrel and it's not as smooth and pointable. Also a 1895 Guide Gun 45-70 with the original ported muzzle for pure elk hunting. I reload for them all.

10. CallMaker

CallMaker Active Member

Well I have been unable to locate one in ANY caliber so it goes on the "someday" list.