1894c .357 magnum with a 30-30 stamped barrel

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by DerekWilson, Jun 6, 2016.

1. DerekWilson

DerekWilson New Member

Hi all,

So first a little background. I recently inherited this 1894c from my father, serial starts with 19xxx, so I think that means it was a 1981 year manufacture. He bought the gun from a seller at a gunshow that had no idea it wasn't a 30-30 and insisted it was, but dad knew something wasn't right about it so he bought it. He verified it was a 1894 receiver and that it fed, then tested it and it was perfect, very accurate no split/bulge casings etc. According to my brother, dad then emailed Marlin, and they called him at his house to verify the serial, and they offered to buy it back at way over its retail value and stated that it was part of a small batch of factory screw ups, and since there was no danger of a 30-30 round ever being chambered there had been no official recall.

Anyone know anything about these? I called Marlin and the guy I got had no interest in looking anything up because it was too old for them to do any work on if I was looking to get the barrel replaced. So I thought I would check with the collectors and see if anyone had heard this before?

Thanks

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Welcome to the Marlin Forum Derek...

I have heard of mis-labeled barrels...chambered for one caliber, but incorrectly labeled as another.

There is some collector interest...but you will have to search far and wide to find somebody who'd really pay extra.

I'd say keep and enjoy it...a family heirloom.