1894C Rear Sight Repair

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Rooster59, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Rooster59

Rooster59 Well-Known Member

During a lapse in judgement over the weekend I broke the rear sight leaf on my wife's 1894C. Numrich has one on the way for me.

My question is what's the best way to install it? It looks like I could put a little tape on each side of the two tangs and squeeze in a little to put the leaf onto the two tabs on each side of the long tangs and reinstall the elevator slide.

1894C Rear Sight.jpg

2. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

are you getting the entire assembly or just the buckhorns??

3. Rooster59

Sorry, should have explained. Just the folding leaf. Numrich sells that separately and I won't have to readjust the windage. I hope. Shouldn't since the base doesn't look damaged. I had the rifle upside down persuading the trigger plate to go back in. When I flipped it over the elevator and leaf were lying on the bench. The leaf in two pieces.

4. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

its held in by spring tension and you may have to remove the whole sight to get it together, they can be a real bugger..go easy and don`t force it..

5. Rooster59

That's what I figured on the spring tension. The wife's 1895G has the same sight exactly. Think I'll lay some masking tape under and along the sight base and maybe a little over the tangs before I "pinch" it with a pliers. Not sure I can get it compressed enough with my bare fingers but we'll see next week when the mailman shows up with the new part.

Thanks oldbrass.