1895 45/70

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by OregonBowHunter, Aug 1, 2015.

1. OregonBowHunter

OregonBowHunter New Member

I was curious if someone could help answer a couple question about my 45/70 I picked up last year. Do all of the 1895 have Jm stamped on the barrel and trying to get the age of the rifle. Also does having the barrel ported affect the value negative or positively

2. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

3. JohnnyLoco

JohnnyLoco Well-Known Member

I think a ported JM model would hold a higher status

4. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

A Marlin .444rem holds a even higher status:D

5. hunter5567

hunter5567 Well-Known Member

Subtract the first 2 digits of the serial number from 100 to get date of manufacture with 00 being 2000. If it had MR then it was a Remington manufacture gun. I believe 2009 was the last year they used this and the digits would have been 91.

6. mm93

mm93 Well-Known Member

The answer to the JM stamp is no, they don't all have it. Those made after Remington purchased Marlin wont have the JM stamp. SO if yours is new enough, it wouldn't have it. Values are also lower for guns built by Rem. vs. those earlier built in Conn. by Marlin.

7. LawMan255

LawMan255 New Member

If you have a JM stamped Marlin, don't let anyone talk you out of it.
    That gun is a true Marlin, not a "Remlin" and the quality far surpasses the guns manufactured after the turnover to Remington.
    Another defining feature that tells you it's a real Marlin is the ported barrel.

8. SheriffJoe

SheriffJoe New Member

Not all pre-Remington (JM stamped) Guide Guns were "ported". I own a couple.