1895sbl

Discussion in 'Other Marlin Rifles' started by lostinthescope, Jan 7, 2012.

1. lostinthescope

lostinthescope Member

i would love to purchase a new 1895SBL when i get my tax return in. However I am told by the local gun shop that there is a 5 year waiting list for this firearm. what is going on with this model ?
    is Marlin planning on making more or am i being mislead about shortage ?

2. mainecat

mainecat Active Member

If it were me, I would look for a used 1895SBL, preferably North Haven, CT made baring a 'JM' proofmark rather than the 'REP' (made by Remington Ilion, NY)..

I made my own straight stock version of an 1895SBL from an 1895GS..

Good luck!!! :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012

3. lostinthescope

lostinthescope Member

no thanks, i dont plan on selling the rifle so the collector value means little.
    i want a new rifle not a used one.
    IF Marlin discontinued the model, i hope that they atleast make the stock from the 1895SBL ( same color / pattern ) available on the stainless 30-30.
    i would be open to that option.

4. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Where are you located?

5. lostinthescope

lostinthescope Member

NE Nevada, seems i need to find one online and have it sent to FFL dealer. already got a few leads, thx

6. Ac_Man1962

Ac_Man1962 Active Member

Well at this time (Jan 2012) Marlin/Remington/Freedom Group. Has stopped production on lever actions except the 336 and maybe one other model I think it is the 39.... But all large bore has stopped for the time being....... Quality issues.......So "THEY" say.....

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  7. lever addict

lever addict Member

Yep and the ones floating around on the auction sites are Remington built Marlins that have many many issues! If you buy one and theres nothing wrong with it you best run out and buy a Lotto ticket!

8. lostinthescope

lostinthescope Member

are we talking cosmetics ?
    are the rifles mechanically sound / safe ?
    is there any way to get the same furniture magazine / tube as the SBL and stick it on another stainless 1895 ?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  9. JesterGrin_1

JesterGrin_1 Active Member

Lostinthescope you asked others educated opinions of which you should listen to.

As others have said your best bet is to find a good used one or to find one previously purchased but still new made by Marlin.

Plus as said Marlin did discontinue the manufacture of new lever guns due to there lack of quality in both fit and finish as well as function.

So for the time being I would avoid anything new by Marlin like the plague. As even there customer service has much to be desired in both there ability to correct a faulty arm as well as the lengthy time frame it takes. Some have returned there rifle no less than three times with sub standard work being done and in the end had to get a check from the manufacturer for the faulty weapon.

But as they say plunk down your change and take your chances if you feel lucky.

10. JohnnyLoco

JohnnyLoco Well-Known Member

Luckily there are so many "JM" marlins out there if you keep looking aggressively you'll find what you are looking for.

11. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

I don`t have a remlin but what I`m reading on the forums is lots of feeding and jamming issues,crooked dovetails, terrible fit & finish..I know it broke my heart to see this to..if they discontinue the big boars permanently the "other rifle" thread will be very busy..I`m hearing great reviews from the 45/70 henry rifle and the rossi is quickly gaining ground..

12. lostinthescope

lostinthescope Member

others had said quality issues, that can mean many things.

OldBrass, thank you for clearing up function issues as the problem.

13. BBBB4Grizzly

BBBB4Grizzly Member

WHAT A JOKE...your local gun shop sounds LAME.
    I just walked into Bass Pro Shop / Outdoor World in Las Vegas last month and ordered a brand new Marlin 1895SBL 45-70 and got it in 10 days.:)
    Nonsense!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  14. Rooster59

Rooster59 Well-Known Member

Don't buy the display model from Marlin's booth at the NRA convention. Cycling it felt like shifting an old Spicer truck transmission with no oil. I think they used it to dredge the river before it went on display.

15. lostinthescope

lostinthescope Member

ok. bought a 1895 ABL ( blued not stainless ) as the SBL ( stainless ) is really hard to find. none of my local gunshops can get it. i gotta say i love it, fit and function are good to go.
    it is a remlin and i have no issue with the quality after shooting it. :)

16. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

My 94CS Remlin works pretty good too. I can live with the slight stock fit issues. I'm very happy with it so far.

One thing I think should be kept in mind. Any buy out, and subsequent reorganization is going to create problems. The fact they shut down production to correct problems is a good thing. Remington knows how to make good guns. They'll iron out the issues and life will go on. We will never see a return to the days of the affordable hand fit guns. CNC is the present and when done right it works very well for a decent price.

17. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Heck, a guy at a LGS offered me $1200 for my 1895SBL...and I'd only had it two years...
    and since I needed some extra baby stuff for the twins, away it went!!

And to be honest, my 1952 336RC (.30-30) is more than enough for anything in Florida...

And yeah, there's a hold on 1895's until Remlin gets the quality up...that's ok, I'd rather have them say that there's an issue and STOP...
    than put out a bunch of crap rifles and peeve everyone off...I think they already saw how that went with the rimfires... ;)
    So, I applaud their stopping until they can get it right. Smart move. :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012