1911 pistol shooting was done in the U.S. Army back in World War Two.

Discussion in 'Other Guns' started by FOUR4D4, Jul 5, 2016.

1. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

2. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

The muzzle sweeps and trigger discipline made me cringe

3. FOUR4D4

They didn't worry much about gun safety back then .Not in till the schools of the 1950s

Picture circa 1956

Attached Files:

4. msharley

msharley Well-Known Member

Hey 4,

Great "Training Film" of yesteryear!

Yep, they did things different......then.

Quite the forerunner to "Hogan's Alley"!

Later, Mark

5. FOUR4D4

There's a thin line some where, between shall not be infringed and safety

:eek:

6. msharley

msharley Well-Known Member

Hey 4,

If you do just a bit of looking, you will find that the Army has had many men killed...........in the "butts" (of the rifle ranges), working/scoring targets.

Tragedy, for all concerned.

Fortunately, the Shooting Community has "learned" from some of these "accidents".

Shooting is still much safer.............than going to visit..........the Doctor.

(Deaths from "Medical Mis Adventure", are about 450,000/yr)

Later, Mark

7. Donn

Donn Active Member

When I qualified with the 1911 in '69, the Army was still teaching standing off-hand. The old sarge used to say it was the only place where putting your, (non-shooting), hand in your pocket was OK. Range safety had come a long way since this film too. Muzzles up, and down range. Fingers off the trigger till on target and ready to fire.

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

It's a wonder I lived this long...my brothers and I would go to the hardware store and buy gun power...load it into all types of toys and devices to blow up...set the delayed fuse ( lit match inside a book of matches or string )...and RUN FOR OUR LIVES... :eek:

When we finally got firearms and appreciated that the rules of firearm safety must be followed...well, we finally learned our lesson. ;)

{ But...it WAS fun while it lasted } :rolleyes:

9. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member

I still have a habit of using my weak hand to "cup" the grip in order to provide more support while shooting. it is hard to grip properly after years of bad habits.