2008 1894 44mag. Marlin or Remlin???

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by Old man Tucker, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Old man Tucker

Old man Tucker Active Member

Hi everyone, just joined maybe someone can help me out. i also hope this doesn't post twice not good at this. I have a 1894 44mag has North haven Ct. on barrel serial# 92,04X,XXX no MR pre # and no REP on other side rec. according to chart it's a 2008 probably late in yr. I do know that 12-26-2007 marlin was in contract to sell. Now i can't find JM on barrel up by rec but there are some wierd punch marks. The wood is nice and the fit is very good. Blueing is perfect. I guess what i'm asking was Marlin still making these in 2008 and was QG still good. I am not going to be able to physically shoot gun for a long time. I had some older ones and the wood was darker i really liked the look thats another subject. Action feels pretty good fairly hard to open and close not bad after that. i haven't tried cycle i have to get blanks.Ok does anyone know if this is a real marlin or a Remlin and were they still producing good guns through 2008. Appreciate any info. Thanks much. OMT"

2. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

its a marlin,take it sown and give it an action polish,it`ll be smooth as silk

3. Old man Tucker

2008 marlin

Thanks oldbrass, that makes me feel good. I was keeping er anyway. Is there info anywhere on forum on action polish. I have to say i never did polish any action before, wouldn't know where to begin. Much appreciated"

4. JohnnyLoco

JohnnyLoco Well-Known Member

Its a Marlin. Before you spend time polishing just sit in your ez chair and cycle it for a few days while watching tv. You will be suprised at how it smooths up. You can also install a wolf reduced power hammer spring.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  5. Plumber

Plumber Well-Known Member

6. Old man Tucker

Marlin 2008

Thanks Johnny Loco; a buddy of mine also told me to keep woking the action. I just ordered a metal mag tube aluminum feed plug, mine has a plastic plug and i did see the hammer and lever springs. I was thinking about it but wasn't sure. Now that you mentioned it i will order it.I really love my marlin. Thanks for the info i really appreciate it...

7. Old man Tucker

Hi Plumber;634; I did take it apart as much as i could, it was like brand new inside i cleaned it and used shooters choice all weather high tech greese, a liberal amount it seemed to help some. I can't wait for next season, most of my family are from Minn. and UP. my cousin has 400+ acres in Iron River i intend to go next yr and use the marlin 44mag. Thanks for posting the site for polishing.

8. mr450marlin

mr450marlin Member

yeah i just bought the same one but it is punched rep (remington english proof) its a 44mag the barrel says new haven it was made there in conn, but put 2 gether in n.y when they shipped everything over hope i dont have problems with it. if any body knows more let me no thanks tony

9. Old man Tucker

Marlin or Remlin

Hi mr450; all i know is whats been told to me. If there is a mr in front of # and on the other side of receiver a rep then it probably is a remlin. but if it's a 92,xxx,xxx or 91,xxx,xxx w/out the mr in front of # it was made in ct. plant I was told that they starting making their move some time after march of 2010. I still can't make out the marking on my barrel, it looks like someone took a punch to it. Actually it looks like a smiley face, maybe the joke is on me:) The guys that really know told me it's a marlin. Hope what ever it is it works out good for you, i'm no expert just repeating what i've been told. Good luck with the gun. OMT"

10. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

I missed something. What's the deal with the Marlin line, it's been sold and quality has crashed?

11. Old man Tucker

Marlin or Remlin.

Duster, i do know that they sold out to remington sometime in 2008, but they still produced guns at north haven ct plant i think through 2009. I have read mixed reveiws about QC . I personally would look at the fit and feel of any new gun i bought. I would not just order one. Hey they may be good but i read alot of complaints about some new ones. Mine is 2008 and the fit is good i haven't been able to shoot yet because of health reasons, but it feels good.

12. duster066

Thanks Tucker. At least they're still yanks.

13. Old man Tucker

Marlin or Remlin

I roger that duster, here we are complaining and we have a fine gun made in USA" I'm sure they will be fine that a little tune up can't fix.

14. duster066

My thinking exactly. It must be hard to transfer all that responsibility. There is bound to be a period of flux.

15. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

When they moved the marlin line from CT to NY they left there old world craftman behind also. From what I hear they`ve shut some of the lines down due to QC issues so atleast someone in the headshed knows there`s a problem. I think they`ll be on par with the JM stamps soon ( I hope )

16. Plumber

OMT, I wouldn't put too much grease on a gun, it attracts dirt. Put oil on parts that rotate, and grease on those that slide, then wipe off excess.

What part of Minnesota does your family call home?

My Dad had a friend who lived east of Iron River WI. And my Grandma grew up in Hayward WI.

17. Old man Tucker

Grease in receiver

Plumber, thanks for the heads up on the grease i try to wipe most off. My family actually started out in Ironton Minn. Now my one cousin is outside of deluth she has a farm, another in edina, then 1 in iron mt. and another in iron river where i hope to go next hunting season 400+ acres surrounded by national park. I can't wait just get me out of NJ. I spent 1/2 my life in NJ, and the rest mostly in the catskill mts. I love being out in the woods. Your family probably wasn't far from mine.

18. Plumber

My Grandpa had cousins in Ironton Mn.
    Is that Iron Mt., MI, and Iron River WI?
    Edina is only about 25 miles from here.

19. Old man Tucker

Hey Plumber; that would be Iron river MI. They might even know each other thats where my family got started. My cousin Becky is in edina, actually wants me to come and see her also. Hell your right down the road. Small world isn't it. OMT"

20. Old man Tucker

1894 marlin