22 mag

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by duster066, Feb 11, 2012.

1. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

Gotta be one of these too. Any opinions of this round? I only discovered the thing about 2 years ago, I guess I was in a cave or something. It has become my favorite round after 357m. I bought a Marlin 925M, and the round gives a rim fire a real rifle punch. It's not much punch, but it's there. I put a Simmons 3X9 rim fire scope on it. I love the precision at 100 yds. The round makes such a shot near 100%. I'm short a 22 pistol since my sons grew up and took them away. I'm looking hard at the Bounty Hunter to fill that void. The Bounty Hunter is a full size SAA clone, and it comes with 22lr and 22mag cylinders It will be a good trainer for cowboy action, and a nice hunter/plinker.

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

I don't want to start a huge debate - but,
    If I could own only 1 firearm, it would be a 22 mag. ;)
    I have a Savage 93G in 22 mag. and it has it's benefits. However, I would prefer the same cartridge in a lever gun. A Marlin or a Henry.
    If I lived where there were larger, more dangerous animals (like Alaska or in the Rockies), I might have to rethink my position. But for where I live, it would do it all if needed.
    Grey

3. duster066

I could agree with that. A very good survival round.

4. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

the 22 WMR is an excellent rimfire cartridge. very versatile. only drawback i have with it is the higher cost of the ammo compared to 22lr ammo. i do need to get one in this cartridge, i have a Savage M93r17 bolt action in 17hmr and truly do like it, but i still feel the need for a 22 Magnum.

5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

My only .22 magnum...

[​IMG]

6. duster066

You gotta lot of cool guns dude. Maybe a Bounty Hunter in 22 mag.? Full size SAA shooting in a cheap and versatile cartridge. I know that EAA and Bounty Hunter are not well thought of names, but the Bounty Hunter is a Weihrauch. Those who have owned one review them well. I've had their SAA in 357 for 22+ years. It's a great gun I was able to tune it up using hand fit Colt parts. They're real close.

7. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

What kind of groups are you guys shooting at a 100-yards? Never had a .22 Mag rifle but there have been some very nice ones turning up in like-new condition at the local shop.

8. JohnnyLoco

JohnnyLoco Well-Known Member

GreyHawk, I could agree with that also. A man could make it just fine in the world with
    an 11 oz, 7 round S&W 351C air-weight, and a rifle in 22 magnum.

Shooter, I'm always inside a nickel on my rimfires or I don't keep them.

I wish you could legally hunt deer & Turkey with them so I wouldn't be such a criminal.

Don't forget the Winchester 22mag semi-jacketed 40gr HP in the silver and red box.

Those derringers really squeeze out the velocity for a pocket gun...Very useful.

9. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

The 22mag has always fascinated me, so I broke down and bought a Western Field bolt action rifle a few years ago. I am still working on the first box of shells I ever bought. I know intellectually it should be a great backyard coyote gun, however it never seems to make it to the range for practice. I would also imagine it makes a fine woods loafing round, but I always seem to take a 30-30 when I plan on doing more hiking than shooting.

My 22mag stands against my office wall as a constant reminder, so that one day I'll either start shooting it or sell it.

10. duster066

I just received a used 22mag cylinder for my dads Heritage Rough Rider I got him for Christmas. He says he has always wanted a 22mag and now he'll have one. It wont quite be as cool as a bolt action rifle, but it'll sure make range fun more exciting with that 6.5" barrel.

Thanks Austin, I found it in the trading zone over at HPFF.:)

11. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

I've got what could be called a "buttload" of .22WMR-chambered guns...
    and I just picked up a Marlin 922M, which I've not been able to test yet...

I've got all three Grendels...P-30, P-31, R-31...a Marlin 25MN...and the 922M.

On order are Keltec's PMR-30 and an RMR-30 carbine...
    if George Kellgren did as well with the Keltec's as he did on the Grendels, they should be a LOT of fun!!

12. Salps

Salps Member

57m born in 66ish. Shoots like a lazer....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  13. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Nice looking rifle Salps....that looks like my couch you were taking the pictures on, expect without the dog hair.

Welcome to the forum.

14. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Do you have any pics of your grouping?

15. Salps

Salps Member

I can't see any dog hair but it's there I can assure you. Have not taken it to the range yet, just gray digger hunting. I will post range report when I get a chance.
    Thanks Scott

16. duster066

I wish we could reload rim fire. I don't shoot my 925M near as much as I would like because I can reload center fire hand gun and shoot cheaper than CCI 22lr.:(

17. hunter5567

hunter5567 Well-Known Member

Winchester 22 mag ammo is 7.99/box and CCI Maximags are 8.99/box at walmart.
    The more premium ammo is more but it seems as if the prices have come down a bit on the 22 mag ammo.
    I have an 1894M and a 983T rifle in 22 mag.
    I got the the 1894M in trade for a 336C in 35 Rem. It has a parkerized finish that a previous owner had applied.
    Here is a pic.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  18. duster066

I'll have to check out Wally World for that price. I would love to shoot 22mag every time I go out. Oh and very nice rifle.

19. spittinfire

spittinfire Member

I personally am a big fan of the 22 magnum and I love my Marlin 783. I think it's a great round for smaller animals such as ground hogs or coons that a 22LR doesn't quite knock down at 75 or 100 yards. It works great for keeping them out of the garden and the hit doesn't have to be as exact as with the LR.
    Plus it doesn't crack like a 223 or similar so it doesn't bother the neighbors.

20. errorborne

errorborne Member

May I recommend the magnum.