.22 Short carbine

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by errorborne, Jul 1, 2012.

1. errorborne

errorborne Member

They are out of my budget but in the early aprt of the 20th Centruy there were a a lot of .22 short only rifles and carbines in pump or lver action configurations. Light fun and cheap to shoot. Can we bring soe eof thise back an d make some in semiauo as well.

Back then they had frangible ammunition nd people could shot them in their parlor.

2. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

The problem is that .22 Short is a little harder to find and when you do find it, it's the same price as basic .22 LR.

3. errorborne

errorborne Member

Three reasons why I would buy a dedicated .22 short.

1- Reloading a tubular magazine is kind of a pain, using 22 short instead of 22 LR mean sdoing so less often.

2- Less retort and recoil than the "shoulder bruising .22 LR" ;) While it is true there is a wide range in powered down .22LR it just isn't the same.

3- The desire for a unique caliber chambering when a more common caliber is just as effective, more widely available and half the cost may stem from a variety of psychological needs (or possibly disorders). With centerfire calibers you will find manufacturers catoring to consumers needs to have something unique or if they can afford a certain rifle in multiple calibers. Rimfire offers the same opportunity with far less retooliing.

4. bob2231

bob2231 Active Member

I understand that this isn't exactly what you want,but I have a Winchester '06 that shoots 22 S,L or LR.You can find them for a decent price,and just use it with shorts if you want.
    But I like the ability to use whatever is available.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  5. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I've got the Henry lever that eats shorts, longs and LR. I use shorts for the feared Greys here. Have no troule finding them. I havn't seen Longs for I dont know how long, do they even make them anymore ??

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Here's my Marlin Model 80C that chambers .22 short, long, and long rifle.

I have no problem finding .22 shorts in my area, and really enjoy plinking cans with them.

[​IMG]

7. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Errorborne....I feel your pain. There are plenty of calibers and configurations I would like to see come back into production. You know the old saying, "it is easier to pull a rope than push it." Manufactures are all chasing limited dollars. It is easier (smarter) for them to follow current trends, than to try and create a new one. It takes serious money to start a new product line and then advertise it heavily enough to make it work.

I'm waiting for Marlin to make the 1895 Cowboy in a .40-60WCF...but I'm not holding my breath. :rolleyes:

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Welcome to the Marlin Firearms Forum bob2231 !!

9. bob2231

bob2231 Active Member

Thanks,I was referred by another site that I spend some time at.

10. Mongo

Mongo Member

I have found 22 longs in subsonic