336 with a scope

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by hombre243, Aug 18, 2014.

1. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

I am considering getting a set of see through rings for my 336. I always feel crunched up at the bench and have to snuggle down pretty tight when I try to get a sight picture.

Another reason is that I may use an older scope I have with a 50mm objective and the extra height will be built in. It will be big and bulky but it is a mil-dot and I want to try it. If I like the mil-dot I may go ahead and get a new scope. No sense spending the big bucks if i don't know what to get...

Has anyone here used see through rings? How do you like them?

OH!!! Duh...I almost forgot...With the slower moving plated bullets hitting so much lower than the standard velocity rounds, I may be able to use the open sights better than a scope under certain circumstances. Whatcha think?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  2. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

I tried them once on a 336..hated them myself..As for feeling crunched remember the 336 was designed to be fired from the shoulder,raise your rifle up higher off the bench to get a natural firing position

3. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

I guess it's more of a personal choice than anything. Myself, I like getting the scope as close to the barrel as I can. I leave the scope at the lowest magnification so if I get a close, fast shot, I can take it. You can always magnify if they are farther away. It seems to me that the closer you can get your sights to the centerline of the bore, the more accurate it is. Plus I just don't like the way they look, lol

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  4. hombre243

I feel crunched in any position.

5. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

I have a pair of Weavers see thru scope rings that the sales manager at Cabelas talked me into buying I really didn't want them,and never used them in fact their still in the package.If you still want them and I can find them I will Give them to you if you want.

6. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I had see thu rings on my 336. Liked em, like you said my cheek weld was just the right height with em. I had it sighed in at 75 yards with the scope and used the irons with a fast real close in shot ( up to 30 yards). Since getting rid of the 336 now I carry a pistol for up close and personal.

7. JohnnyLoco

JohnnyLoco Well-Known Member

Hombre,

My honest opinion is the see-thru mounts look crazy with big scopes. I do find those particular mounts take on a whole different vibe with a Leupold 2.5x. They could be useful if you are using a scoped load and an iron sight load. They combo you suggest isn't favored by many, but its your rifle.

You might find many pics at Marlinowners site. You can find me under the name T-Roy or horseshoe.

Best of luck

8. hombre243

..."scoped load and an iron sight load."...

Using the plated bullets at low velocity and factory or reloads close to factory specs is what I am wanting to use the higher rings for. Being able to use the see thru will help, hopefully. Using the big objective will be a temporary thing until I can find the buckos to get a good quality scope with the reticule i want/need, to use 2 vastly different velocity loads.

What I have available for experimentation is a 3-9x32 Mil-dot and a 3-9x50 Mil-Dot. The 3-9x is what I already have on the rifle and it is not as bright as the 50mm obj scope and I need to be able to see the dots. The big 50 will help me do that.

When I can afford a better quality, brighter 40-42 mm scope will probably use slightly lower rings...unless I like the tall ones.

Long explanation I know...but it is a work in progress. I may even trade off the 336 as a down payment on an AR. Time will tell.

9. JohnnyLoco

JohnnyLoco Well-Known Member

I'm a 30-30 fanatic, for GP use and low ammo prices, its very hard to beat.

-Click Click Boom

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  10. hombre243

I agree, and there are plenty of low pressure loads that can be used for just general practice. And I like the rifle. It just looks cool.

11. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

I hunted the woods of Pa. back in the 70s with a 336 and see-thru rings. Worked well at the time. It is also a good solution when mounting a 50mm objective scope.
    As far as looks, it's your rifle and needs to fit your needs. Opinions about looks vary from person to person. Personally, I like the looks of a naked 30-30 carbine, but with my tired old eyes, Iron Sights are not an option.
    It's true that keeping the scope as close to the barrel as possible helps with trajectory issues but the 30-30 is a hunting rifle, not a Bench Rest gun.