336c safety

Discussion in 'General Marlin Discussion' started by runswiththunder, Jun 23, 2012.

1. runswiththunder

runswiththunder Member

I have a 336C, purchased before they were installing the hammer block safety.
    I have wondered whether it is possible to retrofit the older Marlins for the safety, or whether you feel it is necessary.
    Any ideas will be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

I don't know if it is possible , but PLEASE DON'T :eek:
    If you are uncomfortable with the rifle and want the c/b safety , then sell the rifle to someone that is and buy one made after 1984.

3. runswiththunder

runswiththunder Member

Sounds like a plan, Phil. I think I'll keep it.
    Thanks, Wayne

4. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Good plan Wayne , Hate to see an older one get buggered up. They don't make 'em like that any more .;)

5. dlrz71

dlrz71 New Member

^^^^^^^^^^^x2

6. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Aint neccessary if you stick to the Ten Gun Safety Rules...

Its also got a Half-cock safety...read up on how to use that properly, and practice with an UNLOADED gun pointed in a safe direction!
    Once you get used to it, you'll wonder why you ever wanted a triggerblock one ;)

7. runswiththunder

runswiththunder Member

Thanks, Big Shrek
    I'm familiar with the half-cock safety, but I thought the hammer block safety might be a bit more fail-safe.

8. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc Active Member

I am with the rest of the gang! Don't do It! :eek: There is only one safety that will always work and that is the one between your ears! Half cock as has been said is a safety. Except on me and I go off half cocked all the time;) I have had my 336C for 38 years and it has never gone off accidentally! :D

9. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Leave it alone and enjoy that rifle.

10. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc Active Member

I got to thinking about your question and I remember getting something from Marlin about them changing it to a safety type. Of course I did not as I think it is ridicules. But I just recalled it so I thought I would add to the conversation.:rolleyes: or not:D

11. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

personally i like the older versions better that didn't have the hammer block safety. one of these days i will find one!

12. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

The pre safety are sought after by collectors don't do it.I rather see you keep it and go buy one with a safety!

13. runswiththunder

runswiththunder Member

Axxx55 and four4D4, I have decided to keep it. Still fun to shoot. I don't hunt with it, just a range gun or SHTF gun.