45-70 405's gotta love em

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Big bore, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Big bore

Big bore Active Member

Yesterday was a very good day for me. I finally got a chance to reload some rounds and try them out. I was very pleased with the results.

This is all new territory for me. I'm using a Lee Classic Loader. The one you hammer your ammo together.

It's not too bad. I was using Remington brass, CCI primers, 48.50 grains of IMR3031 and Montana Precision Swagging 405 FN bullets.

Crimping was the trickiest part. But I managed to get it done with persistence.

The end result was they cycled a smooth as butter in my gun and shoot very nice groups too.

I'm looking forward to reloading some more! :D

2. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

bigbore, check out the Lee Anniversary kit, comes with everthing but the dies and they are priced decently too. might be a little easier than the Classic loader. i buy a lot of reloading equipment and components from MidwayUSA and MidSouth Shooters Supply. both have excellent service and fast shipping, and their prices are pretty good. check them out.

3. Big bore

Big bore Active Member

Will do Axxe55! Thank you.

4. seasidehunter

seasidehunter Member

I am glad I found this thread

5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Welcome to the Marlin Firearms Forum seasidehunter !!

6. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Glad that you could join us seasidehunter.

Grey

7. aka

aka Well-Known Member

Have any of you loaded anything bigger than 405 grain or lighter? Say 525 grain or 350 grain?

8. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

aka....I don't load anything heavier than the 405gr, but I do load the 300gr jacketed HP's. Did you have a specific question or interest in the lighter bullets.

9. Hyphenated

@Big bore...
    Ahh the satisfaction of shooting those first reloads. Welcome to reloading. What kind of loads are you trying to develop, target shooting or hunting?

10. aka

aka Well-Known Member

Not lighter. I see many offered on line. Personally I like heavier bulletts in everything I shoot except my Glock. I don't shoot cast bullets in it either. I have been looking at some 525 grain bullets offered by Beartooth Bulletts. They advertize they are compatible with the Marlin Leverguns. I was looking for some input on them or some in that weight zone.

https://beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

The ones on the bottom of page.

11. Hyphenated

Sorry can't help you with the heavy weights. I just don't shoot anything that the 405gr bullets won't take care of and I don't need the added recoil. Good luck with the Beartooth bullets.

12. Rooster59

Rooster59 Well-Known Member

"The end result was they cycled as smooth as butter in my gun and shoot very nice groups too."

Provides a pretty good argument on why not everyone needs a $400 press and $100 die sets to make good ammunition. I don't really want to go back to my Lee Loader sets but I'm not selling them either. :D

13. Big bore

Big bore Active Member

Im loading for both target and hunting. Recently I was given a reloading press along with several goodies to get me up and running. So far I've experimented with both cast and jacketed 405 grainers. As for powders I've tried IMR 3031, 4064, 4198 & Trailboss. I've also tried Hecules 2400. It has been a blast to say the least.

I'm focused primarily on trapdoor loads which is plenty for whitetail deer.

I'm always open for suggestions.

14. Rooster59

Rooster59 Well-Known Member

All I use is the 405LRNFP now. I have some 325LE and Sierra 300HP but have only used the HP at the range so far. I've hunted with the 325LE but at the distances (under 100) I've hit deer with it the bullet does some dramatic expansion that isn't necessary. I don't like the recoil required to make the lighter bullets longer shooters than the heavy cast ones. I had duplicated the factory Rem 405SP for my wife the first couple years she hunted with her 1895G but since she tried some of my cast loads she likes them better. She seems to think even though they are at the same FPS the lead is a bit lighter recoil.

I've tried 2400 at Hyphenated's insistence and they are fine but my seat of the pants says the IMR4198 loads (34gr) kick a little less at the same theoretical FPS. Besides, I'm saving my 2400 for .357 and jacketed .45LC loads.

15. billt

billt Member

A long while back, (3 or 4 years), I bought 500 Remington 405 Gr. Soft Points from Cabela's for reloading my Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun and BFR Revolver. I really didn't need them at the time. Now the price on the same bullets has gone through the roof. Now I'm kicking myself for not buying more!

16. Hyphenated

That happens to all of us...at least you got 500.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

17. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Lets start a 45/70 vs 444 debate.

18. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

If you're still using these I've got a brand new box,never opened I'll let you have for $20 shipping included.Just e-mail at thegreatwhitebuffalo44@yahoo.com .

19. PlainsHunter

PlainsHunter Member

I've just started reloading for my .45-70. So far, I've just been using a 350 gr cast HP with 58 grains of ffg. Really cool load and very manageable recoil. Once I build a taller powder drop, I hope to be able to up the grains to around 65. This bullet is pretty soft but I'm not seeing any problems with leading.

I do have some 350gr bullets from Beartooth that I plan on using 3031 or h4895 in. Haven't worked those up yet, having too much fun with BP.

20. billt

billt Member

I've loaded a few of the 350 gr. Hornady bullets. But I much prefer the Lyman 572 Gr. Gas Check. These are a few of the rounds I loaded up next to my Magnum Research BFR in .45-70. The gun and rounds on top are .500 S&W.

[​IMG]