45ACP for deer

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by hombre243, Aug 20, 2014.

1. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Anyone here hunt deer with a 45ACP semi auto? I can work up a load. I need to know what type bullet is best, from your experiences.

Thanks
    h

2. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

I wouldn`t think bullet design would matter if shot placement is good..after all its a .45 caliber hole

3. murph41

murph41 Active Member

do any states allow .45 acp for deer? Here in Indiana the smallest handgun caliber legal for deer is the 357 magnum.

4. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

No experience here with the 45 acp per say. Just an opinion. (everyone has one of those)
    What handgun and what length barrel are you thinking about?
    45 acp is legal for deer in Ohio with a minimum of 5" barrel.
    I'm thinking limited range. Maybe 40-50 yards at best.
    I'm thinking Powerball Ammo. Although the bullet is light, it does have impressive velocities.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/489363/glaser-powrball-ammunition-45-acp-p-165-grain-box-of-20
    Though a heavier bullet should give better performance.
    The size of the deer will have an effect. We have large deer in Ohio.

The last medium sized doe that I shot was with a 50 cal. muzzle loader at about 50 yards. I was using a 200 gr. Hornady .429 XTP in a sabot at about 1900 fps. After hitting a rib and then hitting the liver, it failed to pass through. Expansion was excellent but it stopped just under the hide on the back side. I considered the max range on that bullet to be 100 yards because of the weight. A heavier bullet, (300 gr.) would have more sustained energy for better penetration maybe out to 150 yards.

5. hombre243

I don't remember what the smallest caliber is just offhand but I did check and 45 ACP is legal. My season is over for this year so no worries.

6. straightshooter

straightshooter Well-Known Member

Some cartoons show the deer outrunning the 45 acp. Gotta love those caliber wars.

7. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Wa state requirements for big game handgun are as follows : Minimum 4 inch barrel and .24/6mm caliber

8. hombre243

Yeah but...

That big ol mossy horn buck can't outrun it if he is running towards it.:rolleyes:

9. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

In Missouri it's "Any Center Fire" ..... No caliber or barrel length requirement. Same for rifle.

10. hombre243

Here is what is in the Iowa regulations concerning what's legal. Apparently .357 is legal. I would still prefer a .45. (The bullets I use double do double duty as a .45 saboted round in my Wolf, and as a hunting round in the HiPoint. I have SWC's as well as HP's and all are loaded to just about 900 fps. I haven't chronographed them but that is close.

Looks like a new project for this winter...chrono'ing my handgun loads.)

Iowa Regs:

Shotguns: 10-, 12-, 16-, and 20-gauge shotguns
    shooting single slugs only.

Muzzleloaders: Flintlock or percussion cap muzzleloading rifles or muskets between .44
    and .775 caliber shooting single projectiles;

Muzzleloading pistols .44 caliber or larger with a minimum barrel length of 4 inches and no shoulder stock or long barrel modifications.
    Muzzleloaders equipped with electronic ignition are not allowed.

There are no restrictions on in-line or disk-type muzzleloaders. Rifle scopes may also be used.

Handguns: Center-fire handguns .357 caliber or larger, shooting straight wall ammunition with an expanding-type bullet. Minimum barrellength for all handguns is 4 inches. No shoulder
    stock or long barrel modifications are allowed.

Only the following center-fire cartridges maybe used:

.357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .375 Winchester, .38 Super, .40 S&W, .401 Powermag,10 mm Auto, .41 Remington Magnum,
    .41 Action Express, .44 S&W Special, .44 Remington Magnum, .44 Automag, .444 Marlin, .445 Super Mag, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Super Mag,
    .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Silhouette, .451 Detonics, .454 Casull, .45-70 Govt., .460 Rowland, .460 S&W Mag, .475 Widley Magnum,
    .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .50 Linebaugh, .50 Beowulf and .500 S&W Mag.

Hunters age 16 and under may not use any handguns. Hunters ages 17 through 20 must be accompanied by a parent, guardian
    or spouse who is at least 21 years old to use a handgun.

Crossbow: A legal weapon for residents during the Late Muzzleloader season. A crossbowonsists of a bow mounted transversely
    on a stock or frame and designed to fire a bolt, arrow or quarrel by the release of the bow string, which is controlled by a mechanical
    trigger and working safety. Crossbows equipped with pistol grips and designed to be fired with one hand are illegal for taking or attempting
    to take deer or turkey. All projectiles used in conjunction with a crossbow for deer hunting must be equipped with a broadhead
    with at least three blades.

11. murph41

murph41 Active Member

Why does Iowa have the same rifle regs (PCR only) as my home state of Indiana and yet Iowa is a larger state?

I've been seeing pictures of a 1911 rifle (1911 pistol with a non - SBR upper) floating around Facebook. I'm thinking about getting one for groundhogs and moon dogs.

12. hombre243

PCR???

Can't use centerfire rifles for deer. Looks like just about everything else is legal except shoulder pieces on handguns.

13. murph41

murph41 Active Member

A PCR is a firearm designed as a rifle but chambered in a large revolver caliber such as 357, 44, and 45 colt. Examples of PCRs are: 94 marlin, 92 winchester, r92 rossi, ruger 77/44, ruger 77/357, ruger 10/44 "deer field" carbine, the Henry big boy and the original Henry rifle.

The 1911 carbine is not a PCR because it's a handgun with a rifle length upper. It would still be an excellent short range groundhog rig.

14. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Kinda like a Pistol Caliber Rifle?????

15. murph41

murph41 Active Member

That's what a PCR is.

16. hombre243

AHA! The little light came on....

17. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I see Iowa can use calibers there that we can't use in Indiana though like the 38 Super,10mm,40 S&W and 45 ACP.