50 yd. Rim Fire Range this Spring

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by SWO1, Dec 17, 2013.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I will be building a 50 yard Rim Fire rifle Range this Spring. Initial thoughts are for three lanes. They will be covered benches with stationary target frames backed by an earthern burm at least 12 ft hight and 4-6' deep, much like the pistol range. There will be facilities for installing portable frames at 25 yards also. I surveyed the spot today and may also install a 75 yard lane to the outside for sighting in centerfire rifles. They also can be shot at the 50 and 25 yard lines. On initial look it would not be out of the question to also extend the distance out to 100 yards but I already have a permanent bench at that distance. In addition to rim fire rifle, Pistol could also be shot at 25 and 50 yards but without mechanical targets using verbal commands and stop watch for bullseye.

Benches will be either 4X4 frames or concrete block construction topped with double layers of Vantech and adjustable stools/benches for seating. There will be storage lockers under roof for shooting gear/targets/frame material. Also lighting would be installed, "Maybe". Due to the length and amount of dirt to be moved may require hiring of a Dozer to make quick work of the job so construction can be started as soon as good weather returns. Progress reports and design with Pics to follow.

2. Rich1028

Rich1028 Well-Known Member

Nice!!
    please post up some pictures of it when done.

3. SWO1

UPDATE:

I broke ground for the range today. Serviced the tractor and put on the plow to work up gardens. I have had no luck getting someone with a dozer to move the dirt for the range, they are all backed up with the long spell of bad weather. So I decided to do it myself. It will go along side the pistol range and use the same berm and target frames. I plowed up the spot ( 10'X20' ) to make it easier to level with the skid loader. Dirt will go on the existing berm. It will be covered with a brow on the front. Also enclosed on 3 sides with storage lockers for range gear. Have to trim some branches on ceader trees and clear some Oak saplings in back. Pics when I start to move the dirt and trim branches. It's good to get back to work outside ........ :D

4. SWO1

Range Update:

Today used my tractor and landscape blade to level and smooth out the area for the covered benches. Dug 4 holes for the front 4X4s for the covered part. Have 2 4X4s and have to get 6 more. Will concrete the front 4 in and when they are set will pull lines for the back 4. Still have some limbs to trim and brush in the back to clear. Once I get all the posts in and trimmed up will post pics of progress. Not much to look at now. Once all the posts are set I will decide on the configuration of the roof. I've been known to change designs in the middle of a build ...... :p It will be three lanes shooting into the existing target frames on the pistol range. They are mechanical and can be turned to match the angle of the 50yd rimfire benches. Will also put in facilities at 25yards for target frames that can be put up and taken down easy. I think good or at least ok weather is here to stay so progress should proceed at a good pace.

5. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

You're getting a real nice set up going on there!

MARLINITUS; An untreatable disease, usually resulting in an empty bank account!

6. SWO1

Got the front 4 posts set in concrete and square. Maybe some rain tonight and for sure tomorrow evening and Wendsday. Back to the 70s by the weekend so should get the back 4 post in. Still Have to trim branches and sprouts in back. Pics of it now and looking at the Butts 50 yards away.

Attached Files:

7. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

8. SWO1

While at Lowes this morning I checked on material for building Benches for the 50 Yard range. Have decided on using 8" concrete block with a double .75" each making it 1.5" thick, wood top. A few more $ than wood but I think it will be more stable over time. Even a framed bench with 4X4 will tend to warp. Either one will outlast me by a long ways. After the cover over the bench area is framed and roofed I will pour footers for the block and probley a pad for the shooter to sit on. Rest will be covered in 1" white limestone. Benches will look something like this.

Attached Files:

9. SWO1

Got the back two corner posts set in yesterday. Next week will fill in the middle two. Then its on to framing up the roof. I have decieded to cover it in metal. Over all the metal is cheaper than decking and shingles. I order it cut to length, At $69 a square , along with the front brow it will take less than 3 squares. I already have the screws which are a big cost. Once the roof is on will put in the permanent benches.

10. SWO1

All the support posts are in and set. Have the rim of roof up. Need to add about 12 more rafters and then order the roof tin.

Added the brow to the front and have it covered with metal. Also two benches (temp) in lanes 1 and 2. Would have taken a pic but finished the brow tin just as it started to rain. After the roof is on will construct a permanent bench in lane 3. If I like it will build two more just like it in lanes 1 and 2. If it dosnt come out like I envision will go another route.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  11. Gumpy

I wish I was there to help you! I love to build. Anything!

12. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Hey don't you work at Home Depot and get a discount?

13. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

14. Gumpy

Depot does not give an employee discount! I do get a 10% Veterens discount.

15. SWO1

Will measure up and order the roof metal today. Also will try and get the first permanent bench pad framed up and ready to pour after the roof is on.

16. SWO1

The roof is on. Have the concrete, form material, blocks to start the prototype of the permanent shooting benches. Will construct one in lane #3. Will form and pour the pad (4'X5' ) tomorrow. a few days to let it cure and then lay the block for the leg supports. I have decieded to pour a concrete top for the prototype. After the pad and legs are done will form it up and it will be approx. 40" wide at the front and go back to a "T" 48" long and 24" wide for the end of the T. It will be 3.5" thick reinforced with 3/8" rebar and will be anchored to the support blocks with rebar hooks inbeded in the top and placed in the last row of block cavities which will be filled with concrete. Pics as I progress.

17. Gumpy

I'm jealous! You're having to much fun.

18. SWO1

Come on up Gumpy, I need someone to Mix Concrete ....... :D While you're here we can shoot some, and EAT ..... :cool:

19. SWO1

Finished pouring the pad. To many bags to mix by hand so broke out the mechanical jobbie. Concrete Calculator said 12 bags for the 4'X5' 4" thick. Don't believe them. Always have about 20% more on hand. I poured it 3.5" thick with a 2" deep by 6" wide footer around the inside of the form. Took every bit of 13 bags, I had 15. Here are the pics:

1. formed up with the footer
    2. 2" of gravel in the bottom
    3. My brother hosing down the gravel prior to pouring
    4. Easy mixing, set up along side the form and rotated back to pour.
    5. All done. It will be Friday maybe even Saturday before I can lay block for the bench legs. I poured it wet, takes a little longer to set up but it is stronger.

Attached Files:

20. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Look'n goood mon.