795 and FTE

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by pdude, Apr 18, 2014.

1. pdude

pdude Member

Had this issue a lot lately when I took the 795 out. Lots of failure to extract with Federal Bulk 525 box and CCI Mini-Mag (the good stuff). Ammo appeared to be good as no issues with 10/22. This happened on several trips to the range where the rifle was cleaned before hand.

Maybe I need to oil the bolt more? or problem with the bolt?

Anyone else have this problem?

2. dalefan88

dalefan88 Well-Known Member

This is 25rds of thunderbolts thru my 795. It eats everything and accurate.

ImageUploadedByMarlin Forum1399751729.116706.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Marlin Forum

3. thmoose51

thmoose51 New Member

I was having the same problem and it was pretty bad. Did a lot of searching and couldn't find much advice except to keep shooting to break it in. In desperation I got some polishing compound and polished the bolt, and polished the bolt....etc. Next time I shot it I had no problems and after about 500 rds w/o cleaning I have one FTE.

4. pdude

pdude Member

Oh interesting. Got a picture? I've seen some in the past like that. Did you just do that until it shined? I might consider trying that.

5. thmoose51

thmoose51 New Member

Sorry, no pics. I polished it till I was tired of polishing it and got it smooth and shiny. Something worked for me. Either that or it just happened to get broken in at the right time. I think it was the polishing though, lol.

6. Trektoy2

Trektoy2 Member

I have had a lot of issues mostly with federals of any kind and some cci. The Remington's have had no issues, Aquila no issues, and winchester (older box) no issues. I have shot these through my marlins and Umarex guns and had the issues. My wife has a Ruger pistol and my 10/22's don't seem to have any issues. I think the tolerance on Feds is off but I don't have anything old to mic it with. Feds have been the worst.