800x

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by oldbrass, May 9, 2015.

1. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Picked up an 8 pound jug of Hi-skor 800X, running low on unique and pistol powders a ghost around here...I have load data for 9mm & 45 acp...Can`t find data for 38/357...anybody got any books with an 800x recipe ? If there is one :eek:

2. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

OB, Hodgdon does not list any loads for 38, 38+p or 357 mag using 800x. I looked in the Lee, Speer 14 and Lyman 49 manuals and no loads use 800x for those calibers.

Someone may have some on handloads.com, but those are usually guest's loads. Use them cautiously.

I got a pound of 800x a while back, can't remember what I got it for, but I know I got it because it was all I could find. Never used it yet. Specs say it is for magnum and 10 ga loads.

3. oldbrass

Thanx Hombre, I read it`s for magnum loads but since it`ll work for my auto pistols I picked it up...I have a pound of unique left so I`ll use that just for the .38...rifle powder is everywhere so I don`t know why pistol powder is scarce....MAN I`d like to find some W231

4. hombre243

Lots of pistol powder is also shotgun powder...maybe that is why it is slow making a comeback.

5. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Found these. A lot of loaders swear by the 7.5 gr in .357 on the forum I found it on. Low was 7.1 high was 8.1. Ive never used it so take this for what its worth.

best load for 357 mag is 7.5 gr behind 158 SWC, magnum primers.
    Best for 38 spl 5.4 gr behind 158 SWC, magnum primers.

6. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Just thinking out-loud. As posted by SWO1, I would consider the Magnum Primer a must for that powder in a 38/357.
    What y'all think???

7. SWO1

From what other say the grains look like "Corn Flakes" .... LOL and it meters terrible. Those that use it for pistol dip it and trickle to top off.

If its that course a Mag Primer is probably needed.

8. hombre243

Thanks for this tip. I haven't opened my can of 800x. I didn't know it was so coarse. I will have to get some Magnum primers to try.

I looked in my Lee Manual and saw where I had hilighted in the 9mm and 45 ACP data all loads using 800x. Most data is for lead bullets but some jacketed. Lee Manual also shows small primers for the 9mm and large for the 45ACP. Magnum (small/large) Pistol Primers are not mentioned.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  9. SWO1

In the 9 you can use Small Rifle Primers vice the Mag Pistol Primers.

Large Rifle Primers wont work in Pistol as they are Taller than Large Pistol. If you have .45 brass with the small Primer hole then subbing Rifle Primers will work. Starline has both Small and Large primer pockets in .45.

10. greyhawk50

Totally agree.

11. oldbrass

Yep it meters awful...will use the dipper

12. hombre243

I will probably load the 800x with the Lyman auto dispenser. It is slower, but it will be accurate. I have the dipper set but I don't trust them for accuracy. Too low a load isn't bad but I have never been satisfied with the results I get with a dipper...except for ice cream, then I kinda hope I get too much.:rolleyes:

13. oldbrass

I use the dipper for my .223 loads...but that`s ball powder (h335) it levels real well...Ive tried dippers with stick powders like 3031,4064 and get quite a variance...I`ll look into a lyman auto dispencer, maybe something to put on the wish list

14. hombre243

I like to weigh my charges and the Lyman Gen5 is accurate to + .1 grain. (specs say .2) I may get some different powders to try. Right now I am getting great results with 8208xbr. I have been seeing CFE223 on the shelves and a few others. I may get a can of different stuff when I can and try them all.

I will try the dipper too and weigh what the dipper gets. May find it accurate enough and faster to boot.

15. SWO1

I use a dipper a little less than the load I want and then trickle to top it off. Not real fast BUT ACCURATE. A batch of .308, 30-06 may take 2 hours for 50 rounds. And thats after I do case prep. My lyman digital dispenser does a good job on the pistol powders.

16. greyhawk50

I totally agree. Not to repeat myself, but if I'm loading 20 or less, I use a scoop and a trickier. I have an Idea 55 that works well for rifle cases but not well for pistols (to big). I bought a Lee dispenser for loading large amounts of 38 spl.

17. oldbrass

I also found some cfe223, even 3 pounds of varget ....