a very slow opener

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by oldbrass, Oct 14, 2014.

1. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

deer deason opened saturday for modern firearm in WA state...went out opening day at the crack of dawn spent four hours in the rain, saw 2 doe and didn`t hear a shot (Buck only) Sunday saw 4 doe and didn`t hear a shot..went by the local gun store to shoot the bull and nothin yet according to the old geezer behind the counter..Nothin movin for some reason

2. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I wont give your post a "like" as its not good news. Here the deer are moving but in specific areas. Acorns are a bumper crop this year. Like a skating rink in the woods. Season is a little ways off here, not till about mid Nov. It opens with ANY DEER first 9 days, then 9 of does only, a week dead period then Black Powder/Pistol for 9 days of any deer. This year they have lowered the limit of does to only ONE in my county, and always only 1 buck. I dont think me and the boys will take over 3 anyway, dosnt matter what it is to us. We dont need any more than that.

3. straightshooter

straightshooter Well-Known Member

Take some apples with you to eat while in the blind and throw the core as far as you can and hope the deer come to eat them. Bang......got em........yea!
    I am just going by what I heard. LOL
    My old boss had a deer lease a few years back. They didn't see hardly any deer on the lease but the golfers couldn't miss hitting deer on the golf course. The deer aint stupid I guess or someone put a deer crossing sign across from the golf course.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  4. SWO1

Took a tour of my 3 main deer stands this morning. The North and East stands have good views of the game trails already. The south stand is still pretty limited. Leaves continue to fall so should be OK by opening day ......another two weeks for early Youth and 3 weeks for the main season.

I like to walk around and think back at the spots where I have taken deer. Pic is of the south stand from the spot I shot the two biggest bucks ever on my place. I am about 65 yards from the stand. Its 4X4" and about 18' off the ground. Also has a raised cover over the top. As I stood there I could see it plain as day, I hope this is how the deer see it. Can you spot it ??

Attached Files:

5. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

Ok... I give up. Where is it? :D

6. SWO1

If you draw a diagional line from the top right corner to the bottom left the line goes right thru it. Even tho its 18' foot up where I am standing is a LONG slope up and the stand sits where it starts to level out. I thought when I took the Pic is would be easy to see, but after downloading it, pretty well camoed. There are two big trees in the left center of the Pic and flanked by a single tree. the light spot is the stand ..... looks like a clearing to sky.

7. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

Lol. I'd be one dead deer, can't for the life of me see that thing. Great spot for stand.

8. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

I can't see it. Even viewed the picture and zoomed in. Pretty well hidden.

9. SWO1

I couldnt believe the Pic either. Like I said as I stood the I could see it plain as could be. Its has a clear lane to the area with No leaves or branches hiding it.

10. SWO1

here is a screen shot. The white arrow is directly at the bottom of the stand and it is about 6' foot tall.

Attached Files:

11. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

Ohhhhhh...there it is. Lol
    Sucker is camouflaged good.

12. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

I still couldn`t find it...

13. SWO1

I forgot I had this pic also. Walked up about 25-30 yards and took another one. Yes it is there.

Attached Files:

14. straightshooter

straightshooter Well-Known Member

Yes that is camo really good.