afternoon at the range

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by oldbrass, Feb 10, 2013.

1. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Had a 2 hour range session this afternoon, My 30-30 is still in a 4 inch circle at 75 yards with open sights so thats good, the 10/22 is still on target so thats good..
    My biggest observation was The lack of range brass, almost everyone was keeping it..I talked to the fella next to me shooting a .308 and he said he just started re-loading, I suspect a whole lot of folks are starting to do the same..

2. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

I would suspect so

3. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

It's always nice to get out and burn some ammo. I think the guys who are not reloaders will feel this shortage first. You can't decide on the spur of the moment to hit the range. Then expect to walk into Wally World and find ammo.

4. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Reloading components are all back ordered too

5. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Yes they are but I haven`t shot in awhile and I had severe trigger finger today....
    I should start shooting my smoke pole when that happens. I have 600 conicals molded up lots of powder and #11 caps

6. tahoe2

tahoe2 Well-Known Member

yeah, I'm feelin it!

I went to the local Sporting Warehouse today and found "NO" .308 caliber bullets, except for some 110grn HP's and some 200 grainers. couldn't use either one, only a few lbs of powders I don't use. Luckily I have some powders and enough primers to last about 6-8 months if go into conservation mode; and only shoot a couple hundred rounds a month.

7. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

In checking with Sierra on Seconds of Pistol bullets...All Out...But they say Plenty of Rifle Bullets. I have plenty of .308 and .223 along with powder and primers. Even have some powders I tried and didnt get "exceptional performance" but is good enough for hunting loads and practice. I use the 150 gr flat base Game Kings in .308 but last trip also picked up a couple pounds of the Boat Tails just to see what they would do.

8. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Since I'm 15 miles from Sierra...I don't have a problem securing their "blems" and shipping to the "regular crew" here on this forum for cost of said projectiles and postage. I can't (and won't) handle a mega request, but as SW01 can add to my testimony...the 2nds shoot just about as well as the high-priced 1st Cabin boolitz you pay more for in the little green plastic boxes. You never really know what they may have on any given day, but the "seconds" are all I've loaded in 5.56 & 22-250 for the past year. Tack driver in the 22-250 (65gr GameKing) with a pet load I worked up and minute of varmint, deer or BGs from two different M4s. Also great success with the 60 HPs. I've got all my 30-30s & '06 brass already loaded prior to discovering this treasure shop...same for the 7mm-08 or they'd be receiving the same kind of treatment and will hence when that time comes to re-manufacture them.

You fellas know or can easily figure out of whom I speak when I noted "reg. crew". To BUCKY...I'm sorry, but I'm not messing with International shipping, especially of things that go in things that go BOOOooom! I'll do what I can IF you want to give a couple of pounds a go. They're not going to suit match criteria, but for range and game...they're more affordable for fun time rounds as well as proven collectors of flesh.

Sierra sells them by the pound. Do the math for an approximate number. I just cleared out all my old P.O.s and the chart from the Outlet Store or I could tell you. 7000gr/lb divided by 16oz = 437.5 grs/lb divided by 165gr boolit X 16 is about 42/lb of .308 cal 165gr pills. OR you can do the math the easy way and just divide the 7000/bullet weight. I like pulling folks' chains...every once in a while!

I can't start to quote a price!!! There's always been lagniappe in every batch I've bought, but the savings on larger calibers isn't nearly what I get from the .224s where 2lbs usually means 300+ boolitz for $26. You won't save much on larger calibers...but IF they have them...that's better than 98.XX percent of your other options!

PM me if you're interested. I'll be going to town tomorrow, WED 13 Feb and will make a stop at the Outlet. I may buy a few pounds in advance...just in case in .308 and .284 (.224s have been very difficult to find...anywhere)! I'll take notes on which diameters and weights may be available and have that info on-hand for those qualified/interested.

Limited time offer because we never know if or when the well may run dry...at least for a spell.

9. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

This predicament is so sad, and unnecessary!

10. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Okay fellas...& Windy - I paid a visit to the bigger two vendors in Sedalia. Things are getting tight. One has ZERO .22LRs, no .223/5.56, 380 - 40S&W gone and only a few 45ACPs left in stock. THe other has basicly the same, but do have some higher priced .22LRs, a scant of .223 and few Ak rounds left. They did have the basic loading components Sierra & Horndaddy projectiles, plus a decent stock of MO Bullets LCs in 9-45 LC. Both have ample numbers of 30-30, 243, 270, '06, 300WinMag,etc, but only a few rounds of foreign Mil Ball in 7.62X51/308 Win.

Visit at Sierra's Outlet - They've got .224 in the following 40gr SPT, 50gr SMP, 50gr SPT, 50gr Blitz, 63gr SMP, 40gr HP (maybe a Hornet pill), 65gr SPT (A deer stomping, tough little bullet I like), 53gr HP, 52gr HPBT, 40gr Blitz, & 55gr Blitz. Full compliment in all of their .284/7mm from 100gr-180gr. 30 cal - SLIM to none in the popular 150 soft and FMJs, but they have barrels full of the bigger Match Kings and SBTs. All subject to change with just a few greedy, shall we say Entreprenuers or mega bunker building "preppers".

One thing is for sure, unless we get BHO out of the WH and usher a bunch of his co-conspirators out the door right behind him, we'll never see prices come back to what we previously knew. There really is gold in the precious metals of copper and lead!!!

Enjoy Valentine's Day with that special someone...and if she or he can't make it...take your wife/hubby into consideration! lol. My bride's getting a brisket and a bottle of bubbly. She's been asking for the beef and the bottle of fizzy vino will help my cause in showing her I care, even though I didn't waste $ on a Hallmark or with the Florist! I hope the palate finds the vino compatible with the smoky brisket;)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  11. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Yo Spoon...Ya didn't happen to notice any Pistol bullets did ya. In .357 or .40. I didn't call this week to check.

12. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Slim pick'nz

Nope...Mother Hubbard's Cupboard is pretty bare. I may re-visit and take a few lbs of the 165 GKs off their hands. Looked at them and they're about the best looking 'rejects' I've ever seen in the Outlet.

At least you still have trickling stocks of 22LRs showing up in you neck of the woods. Hens teeth here.

I better let you get back to building that custom shoot'n gallery of yours ;)