another 336

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by oldbrass, Jul 9, 2014.

1. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Found a like new 336W JM at the toy store this past saturday for $275 ofcouse I scooped it up but why I don`t know..serial# starts 00 so a 2000 year model, she`s a beaut

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Congratulations. Sounds like you found a real deal.
    Maybe you could pass it forward with a small profit or maybe a family member could use a nice lever gun. :))

3. jbaker30

jbaker30 Active Member

Nice pick up oldbrass. I believe you are correct it is a 2000 model year.

4. Marlindude

Marlindude Well-Known Member

ImageUploadedByMarlin Forum1405310877.471560.jpg
    Lol! Couldn't resist Oldbrass!
    Would love to see some pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Marlin Forum

5. KS95B40

KS95B40 Active Member

Good deal on that 336! If the condition is good I will buy any that I see for under $300.

6. oldbrass

here you go Marlin Dude, The ugly fellers me !

Attached Files:

• 336.jpg
      336.jpg
      File size:
      26.4 KB
      Views:
  7. Marlindude

Marlindude Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing. Great picture with your new weapon! bthumbs up!!

Sent from my iPhone using Marlin Forum

8. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Ever since I sold my 336W in 30-30 I have regretted it. Second time I have done that. My LGS has about 6 used ones, different conditions. One in particular I have been thinking HARD about. Its in .35 Rem. Its in the worse shape of all of them, but its a JM stamped one. I know about what he pays for guns he takes in and there is quite a bit of Wiggle Room on the Price. Besides gives me another caliber to reload ....... :cool:

9. oldbrass

Perhaps the condition could be used to negotiate a price..if the bore is good could be a fun project to clean up, Never owned a 35 so I`d probley pull the trigger on that one (pun inteneded)

10. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

It's been there goin on two years now. The 30-30s move pretty quick. I have shot one, a long time ago but never owned one either. Only knew of one person around here who did. He was a Judge and died several years back. Around these parts deer is hunted in dense woods and taken avg. 50-75 yards. Those who hunt the big open fields want a flatter shooting rifle, 243, 270, 308 or 30-06. Last deer I took with a 30-30 was runnin right at me in the woods, I was standing behind a tree along a twisting game trail. Something spooked him and I could hear him coming a long way off. I took it at about 20 yards in the upper neck with iron sights.

11. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

I owned a 336 in 35 rem. a couple years ago. I listed it on here for sale but then traded it to a friend that has a soft spot for lever guns.
    If I remember correctly, it was a 1986 model. It had the crossbar safety.
    http://www.marlinforum.com/forum/f26/sold-1986-marlin-336-35-rem-809/
    I'm recoil sensitive so I avoided the 200 gr. bullets as much as possible.
    Chances of me hunting out of state are getting slimmer by the year and I still had my trusty 336T in 30-30. That plus the fact that I've been reducing my inventory over the past several years was reason enough to "share the joy" with someone else.
    However, I did have good success with Hornady 180 gr. XTP bullets. Very acceptable groups. They allowed me to increase the velocity some and gave it a little flatter trajectory. I felt that round would work well in neighboring states because the deer are smaller but then I never took it out of the state so I have no idea about the performance.
    The Hornady 200 gr. FTX reloads shot well also. I reloaded/tested a few of them just in case. I used Hodgdon H4895 in all of my 35 rem. reloads.
    Around here, the 35 rem. is getting hard to find. If the price is right, it would be a good investment.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  12. oldbrass

Western Washington is the same pert near..lots of thick cover and close shots, there are plenty of opportunity for long cross canyon shots but if they don`t drop on the spot a fella can have a miserable day packin deer up a steep stump filled canyon and I do mean steep, some folks use a winch and a long rope but someone still has to manuver the critter around the stumps and such, would have to be a trophy to go thru that fiasco !!

13. straightshooter

straightshooter Well-Known Member

That sounds like a lot of work for a click of enjoyment. I better attach myself to that winch so I could get back up there.