Another Washingtonian here...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Ickaber, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Ickaber

Ickaber Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Like 72Camaro, I'm a conservative in this liberal state. The politics here suck, but there's nowhere more beautiful geographically. With that said, I'm a 39-year old father of four and a growing gun collection.

I've been most interested lately in picking up a few .22's, to make sure that I have enough to pass down to each of my kids some day. Although, while at Cabela's last week both of my girls, 13- and 11-years old, told me they want a .22 for their birthdays or Christmas, so they may already have their own by then. I was so proud. :)

Anyway, I just picked one up the weekend before last (I'll post that story over in the rimfire section in a minute), and it just so happened to be my second Marlin in the last two months. I now have a Model C3030 that I got for my birthday and a Model 99 M1.

So, with two of these things in the family, I found myself doing some looking around and ended up here. I can't wait to poke around and see what I can learn from everyone, it looks like a great forum.

Ickaber
    aka Scott

2. 72Camaro

72Camaro Well-Known Member

Fantastic that your getting your kids familiar with guns and gun safety while they are young. My last girl, of 4 girls, is waiting to turn 21 to get her concealed. I've got one that is listed as an expert in a couple arms in the Air Force, another that carries and is married to a guy that works at a gun range and another that is about ready to take some classes because she thinks it is time to get more familiar so she can get her concealed.

Jpatm2 and I are hopefully going to get together and do some shooting if we can get some time in hopefully a couple weeks when things have slowed down around my house. You should join us. I want to shoot his Marlin .17hmr and I'll probably bring my Savage.

3. Ickaber

Sounds like you've raised your girls right. I can only hope to do as well. ;)

I've been taking them one at a time to the range over the past few months. Only my 6-year old hasn't been so far, but his turn is next. He and the 8-year old (both boys) have been getting some homeschooling in the backyard with the pellet guns, though. So far, they all love to shoot.

My 13-year old daughter has what I call "a genetic shooting defect" though. That is, she can't wink. She is physically incapable of closing only one eye. Her grandfather (my wife's father) is the same. So she struggles a bit with iron sights, although at least when she was younger she was willing to wear an eye patch just to go shooting. But, we've also solved the problem with a scope. Since only one eye can see down the scope, the crosshairs are always true, regardless of what the other eye is doing, and she shoots really well like that. Fun stuff!

4. Ickaber

I'd love to, but my time is currently running short as well. Although, we did just finish painting the house this weekend, so at least that monster project is out of the way.

Let me know when you're getting close and we'll see how the schedules align.

5. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Welcome Scott and I'm glad your kids have the interest. Mine are 20 and 23 (one in and one just out of college) and now they want to learn - better late than never right?

6. Ickaber

Absolutely, 28Shooter. It's never too late to learn.

7. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

Scott, welcome to the Marlin Forum and we are glad you decided to joun us. good to hear your children are interested in shooting. firearms and shooting should be a family pasttime. again welcome to the forum.

8. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Welcome Scott. Look around and jump in as the spirit moves you.
    Glad to have you here.

Grey

9. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard. Nice to meet some 'real' people from the left coast.

10. Ickaber

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. It's good to be here.

11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Welcome to the Marlin Firearms Forum Scott !!

How about showing us some pics of those two Marlins...?!

12. Ickaber

Here's my Model 99 M1, just as it was when I bought it 12 days ago. Not bad for $75. I'll work on getting one of the C3030 later.

[​IMG]

13. Ickaber

Here's the Model C3030. This one I got for my birthday in June. I told my wife I wanted something fun to shoot, and she tasked my brother-in-law with finding something to meet that criteria; this is what he came up with. And I have to say, it is a TON of fun to shoot. And pretty accurate with iron sights to about 75 yards. I'm sure anything that isn't dead on is entirely my fault, not the gun's.

[​IMG]

14. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

15. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the forum

16. tahoe2

tahoe2 Well-Known Member

Ickaber

Welcome to the forum, I am also in western Washington, Kitsap Co.
    congrats on those shooters!

17. Ickaber

You're just up the road, Tahoe2. Where do you go to shoot? My range is the Gig Harbor Sportsmans Club, but I'm on the lookout for places I can just go out and shoot. Know of any nearby?