Anyone else make this stuff?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by hombre243, Sep 28, 2012.

1. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Any sausage and jerky makers out there?

Attached Files:

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Did you make what is in the picture above !?

Please tell us more about the process...

3. hombre243

Home made summer sausage

Hi,
    I make this summer sausage and several other types, as well as different flavors of jerky. I have made what I call poor man's bacon, which is a pork roast cured in maple syrup and pickling salt for about 10 days. Then it is smoked and sliced. It isnt like anything you ever ate before. Pure old time curing. If you want to try this sausage making some time, go to a sports store or orger a spice kit online from Ganders, cabelas or some other place that sells sausage making spices. (search for...Butcherpacker; sausagemaker; pleasanthill grain; LEM products and HiMountain jerky)

Start off by buying ground meats...lean beef, pork and turky. A GOOD grinder will cost about $350.00. If you decide it isnt worth the trouble after a few batches, you will be glad you experimentyed with already ground meat. Add the selected spices per instructions and cook at the LOW temps suggested. Below 165 is best so the fat wont run out. BUT, if you start lean and want it leanet go to about 165 degrees and cook in oven until the internal temp is at least 160. Let cool in fridge and eat cold.

If you buy an inexpensive grinder (I suggest an electric) you can stuff the casings much easier. I dont always stuff and make patties instead. But, stuffing cases is fun and I do like links.

Lots of online recipes and instructions. I will attach a PDF of the instructions I used when I made my first 25 lb batch.

Have fun and buy lots of crackers. When your friends find out youre makin this stuff you will have to make a lot.

4. hombre243

Dont know what happened to the file

File was too big. I will just post the link to that site

http://schmidling.com/saus.htm

Enjoy the new hobby

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  5. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I grind my venison mixed with some pork butt about 70/30......mix in some Jalipino peppers, season with jerky mix, stuff into small casings about the size of your thumb. The casing are long....cut and twist for the length you like. Cure just like jerky and Freeze into 2lb packages. Can take out as many as you want to eat without thawing the whole batch. Eat mine with Extra Sharp Cheddar and plain ole Soda Crackers.

6. hombre243

Homemade is the best...

I use some ground turkey. It leans out the mix. I make breakfast sausage too but that gets to keep the fat.

I prefer the natural casings. The collagen are too chewy. I got all set up for making this stuff and then lost my job. Now I make a bit now and then to keep in practice. Hopefully I will be able to supplement my food locker with wild hog. I prefer any wild game over any storebought.

Thanks for sharing. There are 3 kinds of things I love to talk about; food (which includes doing my own processing, sausage, wine and beer making); guns hunting and fishing; my faith in God to carry me through life...whether good or bad...and not necessarily in the order presented.:)

7. SWO1

Wish we had some FreeRange Porkers around here ( Not really ).....Would be better than tame pig.

8. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

I made some venison sausage once should have had more pork, It turned out a little dry.But i was impressed for my first attempt

Venison The Other Red Meat

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Thanks for the link hombre...!!

10. hombre243

You are welcome

I aint good for much but what I am good for just keeps gettin better. (HUH? Did I say that?)

I love makin all kinds of different sausages. Medium hot Italian is super in spaghetti and Homemade Brats will make a convert out of anyone.

11. hombre243

Barbecue anyone?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hNxA8JBW8E&feature=BFa&list=PL68F0095F2BFECFE5[/ame]

12. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Oh the costs :( of getting decent equipment to process is the ONLY thing standing in a hunter's way. Our family has amassed a complete commercial kitchen...finally and the new has worn off with the other family members involved. If GOD grants me a shot or 3 or more at baldies this fall...I intend to make a mess of deer/pork rope sausage. I have my own mix, adapted from a site's recipe. I don't like the store-bought seasoning mixes...toooooooooo salty!

Now you got my mouth watering. I'm in the process of turning 30#s of beef roasts into jerky bound for A-stan. Last batch just went into the dehydrator about an hour ago. I made "a mistake" and sent some hot ginger jerky to my daughter (0-4) at the ISAF HQ and now they boyz n gurlz can't get enough of it. The Army CO, Col 'X', is getting downright hooked on it. The kiddo shares it with Spec Ops troops & others coming through. Dadgum postage to get the stuff to the other side of the world is worse than buying the meat and other ingredients to make it :mad:

hombre, I agree with ya that home prepared wild meats are pretty tough to beat!

13. hombre243

The cost of perfection...

Spoon,
    I don't have a full pro-kitchen yet but I have some good equipment. I use a LEM #8 Big Bite grinder, a LEM 20 # mixer, LEM 15# stuffer (tall tube type) and a couple plastic tubs for mixing and holding meats until ready. I do my summer sausages in my convection oven and i have a Gardenmaster dehydrator with 10 racks and a new Excalibur also with 10 racks. When I get to cookin the neighbors know it and seem to really like me. (hey, I'll take that kind of attention. If I need stuff moved I just dangle some sausage in front of the,. If that doesnt do it I wave some home made beer or wine in their snoot and that always does it...and i love it.

I was asked if I would make up 25 lbs of jerky to send over to A-stan but the order got cancelled before I could say yes. I guess youre right. To send that much would have broke the house...a community center in a very small town near my home wanted to send it to their friends and grandsons and grandaughters but the cost was prohibitive. I wish it would have worked...I always wanted to send some over on my own. Maybe I can now.

If you ever get in the mood to buy a portable SS smoker that folds up, Cameron Products sells one that is very nice. It is electric so if you want to use it in camp you need another way to heat chips or whatever you are cooking or smoking. I use a wick type sterno and it sets down inside the burner element, and the chip pan sets atop of it on the shelf an inch above it. Very smoky and it burns a long time...several hours.

Thanks for your post. I love to talk cookin.:D

http://www.amazon.com/Camerons-Products-Smoke-Smoker-Stainless/dp/B000ZLUGNU

Best price I have seen in a while. Camerons doesnt have it on their site at present but Amazon sells them. The SS is the one I bought last year. Works great and does 50 pounds of meat, sittin or hanging.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  14. SWO1

15. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

For no power / fire smoke generator , I've never heard a bad thing said about this on any of the BBQ type sites I read :cool: But I guess you would need the sterno for some heat even if cold smoking . Just thought I'd share .

http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8

16. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

hombre - I reckon 25#s of finished product would be about $300 in meat/supplies with today's sky-high prices. The batch I sent out today started out right at 24#s of hand trimmed and home-sliced beef. I ended up with just shy of 8#s of dried product and that included the vacuum bags that I put it in. Less than a third of the original weight was the net result (right at 70 percent weight loss). Kicker...it cost another $27 to let USPS get it there. What can you get good lean roasts for your way. In the Commissary at Whiteman...it hovers around $3.15/lb. In local markets...well meat's getting to be like gold! Wallyworld had "Ox Tails" and just for curiosity I checked the price. Would you believe the pkg was marked at $5.79/lb? Never had a serving and I need to have lotz of charitable friends that eat this way. Maybe they'd donate some powders, primers and pills? ;)

N E who...I'll check out the smoker. Need a new one and it may just go on my Christmas wish list. Lord knows there's room for something different besides a couple of wood working machines and a whole bunch of reloading and shooting paraphernalia. I am asking Santa for some RWW pocket Ts so I don't sound to pretentious.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  17. hombre243

Better hurry if yyou want one of those smokers

Hey Spoon,
    Haven't checked roast prices lately for jerky meat. I have used a lot of hamburger in the 85-90% range. Mixed with some cheap ground turkey the fat is cut down and price per pound goes down a bit too...not much but a little. My main forte is summer sausage. I use about 60% pork and 20% ea of turkey and beef. Makes nice lean sausage. We have a Save a Lot grocery here and I watch for their meats priced to sell. It is good but it just gets ugly after a couple days and they price it down...and if I am there at the right time I can get some good prices. And it is always still good.

Oh, I talked to Anne Malone at Camerons (via email) (Anne Malone <anne@cameronsproducts.com) and she advised me they have a couple of the SS Smoke n Folds left. They discontinued them but she didnt elaborate why. I saw them on Amazon, and Gander. If you decide you have to have one you should contact her asap or ya may have to do some searching. The folding up part is what I like about it. Other than that, a smoker is as a smoker does.

I get asked...why is jerky so expensive to buy? (At the store and from me) I tell them it is because of the water weight loss. (Sure wish I could do that...lose 70% of my weight in about 6 hours. I'd just go for 2 hours and get back my gurlish figger...) Jerky costs alot because we have to price it before we dehydrate the meat.

I think when I get down to Texas and get settled in I an going to look into buying a hind quarter of beef and doin the butchering. Nice thing about making jerky as compared to cutting up steaks and roasts..., all you need to know about butchering is which is the sharp side of the knife and where to plug in the slicer.

You mentioned vacuum packaging too...where do you get your vac bag mtl? I price it at WallyWorld, Sausagemaker.com; LEMproducts.com; butcherandpacker; Meatprocessingproducts.com; and one stop jerky shop. I get it where it is lowest priced and buy several rolls of different sizes. I order natural hog gut casings too. Isn't it funny how even the gut of a hog or bovine costs as much per pound as a rib eye?

18. hombre243

Smoke pellets

Thanks for the ...hehe...smokee link (did I say that) I looked at the site. I like it. May have to order some to try after I get settled into my new digs.
    Thanks
    h

19. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

To hombre & EVERYONE…Here’s the source I use for commercial quality vacuum food storage bags.
    http://www.thesweetattack.com/page/page/1617042.htm

A lady that owns a Bakery in PA used these in her shop. She saw a need for consumers to have high-quality bags for home use and started offering them to the public. I’ve been a customer for 7 years. I don’t think you’ll find a better deal on food storage vac bags anywhere, especially considering her prices, service and fast shipping.

I use the “Vac Strip” bags: http://www.thesweetattack.com/page/page/2380629.htm They are HD bags & have a mesh strip down the center on one side of the bag. It allows the machine to really evacuate the air. She has also started carrying a line with a full one side piece of mesh that are a bit cheaper, but I don’t know how thick/HD they are. There’s a couple of videos listed on the site to show folks.

I order the “300 Combo” pkg of Vac Strip bags. The Combo is currently $67 http://www.thesweetattack.com/catalog/item/2380629/3574158.htm and add an additional 100 pint and another 100 quart bags which adds about $35 to my order. I own the big Cabela’s Commercial Grade Vacuum machine. It’s a trooper that will run bag, after bag. I paid 3 bills for it 4 years ago and now they are selling for $500. Another example of gubernmint run amok…?

You can go to the site & find what you’d like to order. Do it on-line or call with your list. They’ll do everything they can to get your supplies out the door fast at prices well below anything else I’ve tried/found for vac bag supplies. I ordered one year on Tuesday about 1400 and had the bags in my hands in Central MO at 1000hr on Friday…right before deer season opened on Saturday. That year we processed almost 30 whitetails (I took 1 young buck and 5 does; I’ll probably never have a season like that again) A lot of friends, neighbors & family get to savor the pleasures of the “locally-grown” venison, so it’s all worth the efforts, not to mention the peace and quiet while afield!

Good day all

20. hombre243

Spoon,
    Thanks for the Vac Bag link. I will give the site a good going over.
    h243