Anyone Like Swedes?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by Mauserhooked, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Mauserhooked

Mauserhooked Well-Known Member

Got a few Swedish Mausers that I really like. Here is one and I'll post some others in the days ahead. Hope Y'all like 'em:

Attached Files:

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Beautiful furniture on that rifle. And, yes, I like Swedes. I once owned a 6.5 Swede Carbine. Great shoot'n rifle and an ideal caliber. Don't currently own one and I believe that they are not easy to find.

3. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Sweeds are ok, I`m finnish....nice rifle by the way

4. Mauserhooked

Thanks, greyhawk50. Here's a 1916 Swedish Carbine (M94/14) that I have, and yes, they are hard to find where Bubba hasn't gotten hold of them...

Attached Files:

5. Mauserhooked

Hey, oldbrass. I like the Finns as well. Here's a 1942 VKT M91:

Attached Files:

6. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

I've never met a Mauser I didn't like!

7. Mauserhooked

8. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Those are beautiful rifles, I hear they`re tough as nails...I really like the quality timber on those

9. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Beautiful Swedes there Mauser! I particularly like the carbine. I remember years ago when the Woolworths in my neighborhood was selling nice all-matching Swede rifles for $70. Looking back, I should have bought a crate!

10. Mauserhooked

Hey, 28Shooter. Yes, it is hard to believe that the carbines used to sell for about $30 if you go back a ways. Now, they routinely sell for about $700 or more for a nice all-matching example. I got addicted to the Swedes, especially the carbines, shortly after I started to collect firearms. Man, wish I could revisit those days price-wise.

11. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Unfortunately for me, the only Swede I have left is a "bubba'd" one I picked up for a possible project gun. The stock's been cut down; the barrel's been cut and should be recrowned; it has no sights - front gone with the bobbing, rear just gone; still has the straight bolt; a lot of the original finish; and it was never drilled and tapped for a scope. The said part is everything matches! I took it to the range for a test fire and it still goes bang and everything works properly. I'm just not sure it's worth the cost of turning it into a hunting rifle.

12. Mauserhooked

Sounds like an M96 that someone got "happy" with it and cut it down. You can pick up front and rear sight parts fairly reasonably so I would probably try to put into shape for a hunting rifle if the stock is workable. The Swede ammo is a great round.

13. straightshooter

straightshooter Well-Known Member

talk about getting wood............geeze that is some awesome looking furniture. Makes most new look like cheapo stuff for sure.

14. Gumpy

I have a Turkish Mauser that I put together with spare parts that I'm guilty of 'Bubbaing'! I would not be found guilty of ruining any weapon that was all original. Anyway, I scoped it, modified the bolt to clear the scope, and shortened the barrel (I did recrown it). Its now my favorite deer rifle for NE Alabama deer hunting conditions.

15. Mauserhooked

Thanks straighshooter! The quality of workmanship and materials used on these old rifles really speak to me. Gumpy, re-purposing spare parts and coming up with a useful rifle is great IMHO. I just cringe when folks take an all-matching war horse and "make it better" destroying any collector value in the process. I guess I'm more of a collector than a shooter but that is what make the world go round.

16. Gumpy

Amen MH. I have a matching numbers Steyer/Manlicher I've been working on. The only thing I can't get to work is the ejector. I think the 'bump' on the bolt is worn down and needs built up, but I don't know how much.

17. Mauserhooked

Wish I knew more about them..... I would offer some help if I did.

18. Gumpy

I just need to find a good bolt and take some measurements. Then a lot of handwork!

19. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Yes. Chocolate covered cherries are my favorite.

20. Mauserhooked

hombre, not sure I follow your last post....