Anyone test with wet newspaper?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by duster066, Jun 16, 2012.

1. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

A guy at the Hi Point forum posted some test results into wet newspaper. He says it replicates tissue fairly well, and it got my attention as I have no chronograph. I have a 357 bear load I developed for defense and hunting, and decided to save my papers for a test. It uses a 180gr Missouri Bullet Co LRNFP over Blue Dot. Fired from my 94C @75 yards it penetrated 19" of wet newspaper plus the plastic side of the tub, and I recovered the slug. Two others went through 17" and exited the tub. The recovered bullet was only slightly deformed and weighted 177gr. I was encouraged with the loads performance.

Anyone know if this is a decent representation of what I can expect using the load for deer and black bear?

2. aka

aka Well-Known Member

@duster I think it was Rocky Mountain Cartirdge who had a pretty extensive report on there stuff using wet newspaper. I use D.C. Telephone books. Still have a mess of never used ones still shrinked wrapped. I had posted results from these test 5 or 6 years ago at CasCity. Loading on Black Powder and slower burning powders. Weapons included a 94c

3. duster066

I'm glad I did it. I developed this load when Buffalo Bore's 180gr 357 about ruined my SAA. I'm sure it's a great load, but way to much for that gun. I assumed my load would work for bear defense, but now I have evidence.

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

5. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I haven't used wet newspapers but I've used bundled up magazines ;).

6. duster066

Thanks for the recipe Shooter, it's simpler than I thought.

7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

No problem...enjoy the mess !! :D

8. aka

aka Well-Known Member

So what is foam eater? Any trade name available for it?