Anyone try Froglube ?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by oldbrass, Feb 12, 2016.

1. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

One of the self proclaimed gun experts at the yard said it`s the best product he`s tried, wondering if any y`all ever used it, I`ve always used Hoppes and CLP with no problems

2. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Well-Known Member

I use it on my Glocks and AR's, on my other stuff I use M-Pro 7 and Rem oil.

3. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Never used it I use Rem-Oil and Rig Grease. I would like to try some of that Balistol

:)

4. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

I haven't tried frog lube.

I tried Ballistol and it works great, it just has a very unique odor that I can't abide so I gave it away

5. frgood

frgood Active Member

I am an ex-Frog Lube fan. Not in the evil sense, but in a 'after a little time I have found something better'.

I went through all the effort to FrogLube all the part of several of y handguns. I found that the guns that sat in the safe for while had a slight stickiness and some form of mold (not gross or excessive but enough to notice). I also found it does get sticky over time.

After talking to a couple of gunsmith's, I found that traditional oil (even automotive), used conservatively produce a far superior result.

Today, for example, I use exactly 3 drops of Weapons Shield for my Glocks, and CZs. the result has turned out to be a very smooth action with far less grundge buildup. Turns out these guns only need proper strategic lubrication. Similar results with my lever actions. I still run my 1911s a little wet. All with great success.

I would recommend looking at more traditional lubricants like Weapon Shield, Rem Oil, Hoppes, etc and use conservative, strategic application. You will find longer mileage from the products, superior performance, and significantly less effort.

Superior Lubrication for all guns: http://www.weaponshield.com/technical.htm

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  6. straightshooter

straightshooter Well-Known Member

I never tried frog lube because I figured why use it when my Ultra Lube II from Wilson Combat is so easy to use. The tests done by WC show rem oil is about useless in protecting metal to metal wear. I bought a bottle of ULII for $10 about 4 years ago and still have half of it left. Takes only a pinhead size of it dabbed along the wear points and it really makes a felt difference in movement of parts. WC showed a bearing to metal test for lock up and wear. No gun oil they tried stopped metal to metal wear and lock up except for the Ultra Lube.
    I have read where gun owners are using Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. That is the only oil I run in my engines and it performs better than any dino oil I ever tried.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Tried Frog Lube...used it until it was gone...never bought it again.

It was OK...but I like just a fingertip of oil and a dab of grease where applicable...

8. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

I bought some and cleaned the barrels in the MVP 5.56, and the Savage .308. I applied it there but not on any other parts. That is as far as it went. I haven't even shot the guns since then. Later I got some EEZOX, which is supposed to be as good. It sits waiting patiently on the shelf for some attention but so far it is being ignored.