AR15 or Ruger Ranch Rifle?

Discussion in 'Other Guns' started by 28Shooter, Oct 21, 2014.

1. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I think we're all mostly blue steel and wood folks around here but which would you prefer as a combination paper puncher/"hit's the fan" kinda' rifle in caliber .223/5.56 - AR15 or Ruger Ranch Rifle?

2. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

At this time not much difference in $$. IMO ... The Ruger .223/5.56 is a better rifle. I carried the AR type in Viet Nam, well not really when they were issued I shot it, then put it in my footlocker and kept the M-14. A better operating system, easier to clean/maintain. The Ruger will shoot .223 Rem. or 5.56 NATO. Only drawback is the Ruger has a propritary Mag. and Scope Bases, both Stupid High.

3. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

I would go with the Ruger Ranch Rifle. Never have liked the looks of an AR. But that's just my opinion. :)

4. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

^^^^^ what he said ^^^^^
    Would have to agree with lingr, if that were the only 2 choices.
    If the excrement contacts the rotating blades - and I could have my choice of any - I'll take a 30 cal. M-1 Carbine.
    Don't mean to hijack your thread.
    Just me. Then again, I'm kinda goofy. :eek:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  5. DUTCHS

DUTCHS Well-Known Member Supporting

AR without a doubt for me. Much more versatile and useful IMO...

6. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

If we`re talkin looks a Wood stock ruger...for SHTF defifitely the AR..endless mods and very durable...Carried that operating system 20 years for Uncle sam in some less than hospitable conditions and it never failed ..

7. 28Shooter

You know Grey, M1 Carbine was another one that I was thinking about as this would likely become my non-shooting wife's weapon if (God forbid) something ever happened. Israeli school teachers often carry them on field trips because they are so simple to operate and maintain.

8. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Let me show my ignorance here. Never owned either rifle.
    Just from what I've heard. Correct me when I'm wrong. Help me out here.
    The Ruger Ranch Rifle is said by some to be accurate and others, no so. Chances are, it's accurate enough.
    AR-15 are said to be reasonably accurate unless you invest in a match grade barrel. Then they are very accurate. Although that means extra expense.
    Now for the dumb part. I have zero experience with an AR-15. I believe that most people that buy them have little to no knowledge about how to maintain them. My understanding is that w/o proper cleaning, they can be less than reliable.
    What is the straight scoop here???

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  9. 28Shooter

I have no real experience with either rifle but I've always been told that ARs are more accurate but more particular about maintenance whereas the Ruger is not as accurate but very forgiving when it comes to maintenance. Given that I'm now middle-aged with a little bit of a shake/tremor in my right arm and am planning to keep this an open-sighted rifle, I really don't think I could outshoot either one. Cosmetically, I much prefer the Ruger. While I'm not particularly fond of the .223/5.56 cartridge, it is easy to shoot and ammo is readily available at very reasonable prices. This really wouldn't even be an issue for discussion with me right now but I have opportunities on both guns and am seriously considering a purchase.

Thanks everyone for your input!

10. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

As for the accuracy between the two, Depends on the rifle, and mostly on the shooter. The Ruger does have 20 rd mags availiable. I think IF I ever have the hankerin for an AR type it would be the Remy R15. Now that is an accurate rifle right out of the box. But $$ cost kind of offsets them. Also made in .243, now that would be the best of both worlds.

Bottom line is get what YOU like as either will be fine. Of course Pics and range reports are REQUIRED ....... :D

11. Nogoat

Nogoat Well-Known Member

Back when I reloaded for a 22-250, I got rid of an M15 and a Mini as compared to the 22-250, looked like a hand gun at 100 yards. Now that I'm older and wiser I have a mini 30 and an M4 and my thoughts are the shooter has the most influence on the group size. Buy what feels good when you pull it up to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Marlin Forum

12. rs917

rs917 Member

Well your missions are very different IMO. For a paper plinking gun I'd get the Ruger.

But for an SHTF rifle, AR all the way. Parts are everywhere and interchangeable, you can use anything you find laying around. It's a proven platform in areas where the S is regularly HTF. :) It's come a long way since 'Nam.

I'm a blued steel and wood guy with a weakness for "modern sporting rifles."

Sent from my iPhone using Marlin Forum

13. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

An AR platform in .243...that would be the cats meow, 24 caliber is the minimum legal for hunting out here