AR500 Steel Gongs and other Targets

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by hombre243, Nov 18, 2015.

1. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Just a little heads up while the price is down: This Veteran owned and operated site has a good assortment of gongs and silhouettes at great prices. I am fixin to get a 6" for 100 yard open sight muzzleloading, and a 3" to practice some more precision shooting at 100 yards. I won't have to change targets as often but I will probably have to repaint a few times.

My 4" gong should be here tomorrow or Friday. That will be a good close range pistol and a good target for my scoped as well as open sighted muzzleloaders and 22 shooting at 100 yards.

I have decided on those 3 sizes, the 6" will be 100 yard muzzleloader only so it can be 3/8" rather than 1/2". The others will for sure be 1/2".

Here is the link to the site: (Amazon has them also but they're a bit more expensive. However, I have Prime and there is no shipping charges from Amazon.) You can go to the website and get the stuff sent for as little as $5.95 for a small flat rate, which eventually, if you order enough shipping becomes negligible. Or, order $100 worth and get free shipping.

I will also add that even if you order from Amazon, you will still be buying from the AR500 site. The owner is a Vet and I feel good being able to order his product...from either pace.

https://shootingtargets7.com/store/gongs/1-2.html

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  2. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Wish I could use them where I shoot they only allow you to shoot paper targets

3. hombre243

I have heard there are places like that. Probably afraid of the Ma Bell effect...that the bullet will reach out and touch ya.

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

I like ringing steel.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have 10" and 12" diameter steel plates to hang off the first set-up...just no pictures of them yet.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  5. hombre243

It would be great to have a backyard setup like Hickock45. But first I have to get a back yard. You gonna have to practice some. Those steel targets are too clean.:rolleyes:

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Took the pictures when I first got them....before any shots were fired hombre !! ;)

The plates have actually held up pretty good after multiple firings...

7. hombre243

Well, I got my gong stand all stood up, though be it wobbly lookin. I have it up and the 6" gong hanging but it is not totally leveled and the screws are not in that will hold the whole thing solid and straight. I will worry about that later. I also will punch 2 more holes...one on either side of this setup, for hanging the 6" gong and I will use these 2 holes for the 4". These are too close for the 6".

It is light weight and portable and fits in my Aveo. That's all I need for a day at the range with the Kentuck. I may use it for my other guns but I put this together for mostly pistol and Muzzleloaders. When i shoot my centerfire rifles I will be shooting groups and for accuracy.

It is ugly...so no one will steal it. I may even paint it but it won't be PINK!

Attached Files:

8. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

How did you make it bowlegged? That's neat! It just needs a little more bracing for stability.

9. hombre243

Gumpy, All the screws aren't in to hold the legs solid. These suckers are so loose the legs twist around the top bar like my sister Kate on the dance floor...until I screwed in some more 10x24s for support. It is solid now.

AND, our shooting range is down not too far from the Wapsi River and it is at flood stage and will be until next week, even if we don't get more rain.

FunFun, huh?

10. hombre243

Gumpy, I am trying to build in some easily detachable legs. Best stability may not be attainable but GOOD stability may be. I am thinking about running some bolts through the clamps that hold the cross piece. I have a small car and breaking it down for transport is important. However, setting it up quickly is also important.

If I bolt through the prepunched holes on the clamp I won't be going through the crosspiece. But there are sharp points in the jaws of the clamp that dig into the crosspiece.

The bolts should hold the clamps on to the crosspiece tight enough to keep the legs from collapsing to either side. Then assembly/disassembly will be a simple matter of loosening 2 bolts and sliding the crosspiece in or out of the clamps (jaws) rather than having to take a screw gun or drill to the range to screw in the 10x24 screws through the clamp into the crosspiece.

Sound like it might work? I guess a range trip will tell.

11. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

That should work. Necessity is the mother of invention!

12. hombre243

I got the holes drilled and the bolts are in. Seems solid. And it is easy to take down now that the little screws are out. I have wing nuts in the bolts in the clamps and nylock nuts on the gongs. Regular nuts to hold the gong chains on the stand for easy removal or hanging.
    The pic is blurry. I can't hold the phone still but this is what it will look like with a 70 mph wind hitting you in the face going 90 on the highway...blurry.

But it is sturdy now and the gongs are easily removable.

Attached Files:

13. FOUR4D4

That will work in the back 40

14. hombre243

Sure wish I had me some back 40. As it is I will be using it at the range. I get tired of walking to change targets but more so, I don't like to call "downrange" too often when it is busy, so I thought about this. I am thinkin it might be fun with ol' Viola.

15. hombre243

One thing I am worried about: If someone sees me shooting steel, will they think I am a Gong Banger?

16. FOUR4D4

That sort of looks like the saw horse I have a 1963 sea king outboard bolted to in the shed out back

>

17. hombre243

18. FOUR4D4

19. hombre243

If it's white with black and red? Or is it a gray case job?

I was in MN with the family back when I was in HS and Dad let me rent a motor from the resort. The owner let me use it for free because it had a broken recoil spring on the rope. The thing jammed when you pulled the rope to start it, and had to be released by giving the top thingy where you wound the rope a twist. I didn't get my index finger out of the way quick enough. My knuckle got too close to the spinning rope thingy and whacked off the skin and laid over the upper part of my finger clean as a whistle. And that's what Dad did when he saw it. WHEEEEEWWWWW! he whistled...I bet THAT hurt didn't it? I bet you won't do that again will ya...why when I was a kid we just poured kerosene on a little cut like that yadayadayada...

Actually it never was painful til after it healed up and calcium started to dorm in the joint. But all the sympathy I got way back then was 2 big bandaids and some Merthiolate and Dad watched me apply if, hoping to get a tear out of me.

Not a peep. But I poured out the medicine onto the wound and bandaged the skin back over the knuckle and it fit like a glove. In 3-4 days it was fairly healed back on.

All this to say, that little gray 5 hp Monkey Wards motor was a blast and while I was out with it later that day I caught and landed (with a little trout net) on 8 lb line, a 10.5 lb Northern.

Just goes to show that sometimes a good fish story really is true even though it started out a bit rough.

Whitefish Lake, Wirt MN. 1965