Are bolt actions the next victim??

Discussion in 'General Marlin Discussion' started by Hyphenated, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Technology advances and things become obsolete. I get it. Muzzle loaders were replaced with single shot cartridge guns. The single shots lost ground to the lever action. The lever action became passe when the bolt action arrived and now the AR's have a pretty strong following.

I was in Wally World a couple days ago buying .22mags. I was surprised at what was on the rifle rack. At least 25% of their inventory was those scary black AR rifles. A pretty good mix of .22 rim fire and center fire rifles. The price range was from approx. $300 up to a $1000.00. Walmart is not a trend setter, so you know they are just following the money.

Now when I am at the range at least half the guys are shooting some kind of AR style rifle. It is not just the plain Jane .223's anymore. Monday the guy next to me was shooting a .300 Black Out.

So here's the deal. Are we witnessing first hand the demise of the bolt action? Has the AR reached enough momentum that it is a replacement for all the rifles in our past?

2. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I think bolt action will always have a place for shooters, but as the political climate is uncertain and sport rifles are being debated (assault is a dirty word) the trend will be to buy before the next election.

3. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

My last trip to the range I noticed a few black rifles.I really felt like one of the last remaining dinosaurs with my lever guns!!!:eek:

4. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Just my thoughts on the subject;
    We are a nation that loves our guns - all types.
    Unfortunately, we are a people that are easily divided into an unlimited number of sub groups. Seems like everyone takes sides on something. Sub groups within the religious realm is the first that comes to my mind. Then there are political sub groups. Heck, we can't even agree on which auto maker is the best. And now, more than ever before, we have social division (some call it class warfare).
    So; If you live in a state that doesn't allow high power rifles for deer hunting - muzzle loader will live forever. And after you have tried them, you find that they are great fun. There are still clubs that compete with black powder guns. And the BP gun is still being manufactured for that reason.
    If you enjoy SASS or Cowboy Action Shooting, the SAA revolver, the Lever Gun and the Side by Side Coach gun is here to stay. If you are a back woods deer hunter in the hills and mountains of Eastern US, the lever action will always be welcome.
    If you get into the 3 gun competition world, the AR, the semi-auto pistol and the semi-auto shotgun is required.
    If you shoot high power rifles for accuracy that are durable and reliable, nothing has ever measured up to the bolt action rifle. That would include the Bench Rest Shooters, those that compete at Camp Perry and those that want long range accuracy for hunting in the western states. Every rifle at the NBRSA Match this past weekend was a bolt gun. And, we must include the durability of rifles chambered for the magnum calibers.
    As gun owners, we naturally take pride in what we have, but caution needs to be taken to not cause division. After all, we have a common bond. We are gun owners, sportsmen and hunters. (sorry, off topic I know)
    The AR type rifle is here to stay and is growing in popularity. I've even seen an AR with a 450 Marlin upper. The AR is without a doubt, the weapon of choice for a battlefield situation. And there are those that feel the need to prepare for a confrontation with a tyrannical government. But, in my thinking, the lever gun and the bolt gun will remain the tool of choice in the hunting & sportsman's world for many years to come.
    The bolt action and the lever action have specific purposes that the AR can not fill. They may try but I don't see it happening.
    Not only Walmart but the gun manufactures are following the money. But if lever guns and bolt guns are near extinction, why are they so expensive?
    Unlike the archery world where the much superior compound bow and the crossbow has replaced the longbow and the re-curve, the AR rifle will never be able to do it all. A cartridge is a cartridge no matter what it is fired from. And if money gets tight and/or ammo becomes scarce (and I believe it will) it will be hard to justify owning an AR.
    These are just my thoughts 'cause my crystal ball is out for service. :))

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  5. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Just got back from the gun shop......and look what is up for discussion....talk about Day-ja-vue...

There were 4 of us there talkin along these same lines. Over half on his rack are those Ugly lookin things. Shoot....yes they do. I had debated a long time about gettin a Rem. R-15 but have decided on the X7VH instead. I have shot the R-15 and it is sweet.....As is the R-25 also but would not trade my 700 for one.

He had one of those Tactical thingys in there, all desert camo...with a lot of wierd looking gadgets hanging on it, all kinds of vents and slits in the adjjustable stock and forarm, tripod, and a scope that looked like one of those you throw a quarter in at the Grand Canyon. In .338 Lapua at JUST $1950...If it had been $1850 I would have taken 2 of em.....LOL I never even looked to see who made it.

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

7. Hyphenated

I'm glad to see people jumping in here. I've got no beef with the AR's....if I had $1000.00 burning a hole in my pocket I wouldn't mind trying one chambered in 6.8SPC. I'm just trying to gauge everyone's opinion on where you think the AR craze is going.

I remember when the .223rem first came out. Most states wouldn't allow it for hunting, now a lot of states do. I don't think state conservation departments care whether or not you use an AR, as long as the caliber meets their code. I think as more AR style rifles are chambered in deer capable calibers you will see more of them in the woods each November.

8. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Don't know about most states but the last I heard, Pa. doesn't allow semi-auto rifles.
    In the hands of a qualified hunter, I don't see a problem.
    In the hands of an idiot, looks like fodder for the anti-gun brigade.
    Just my thoughts.

9. Hyphenated

Missouri allows semi-auto rifles. There is a capacity limit. Don't quote me, but I believe it is 5 rounds.

10. SWO1

In Missouri the shell limit is 11, 10 in the mag-1 in the chamber.

11. SWO1

Last year I refinished a US Enfield Model 1917 30.06 and gave it to my VFW POST to raffle off. At 6 for $5 we made $3500 in a month. sold tickets from coast to cost and Hawaii.

6 Months later we got a heck of a deal on a black rifle from a Missouri Co. that makes Black Rifles for another raffle. Same deal on the tickets...sold them for 3 months....barley made $700.

12. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

personally i don't think the bolt gun will ever be obselete in our lifetimes. yes, i do also an AR too. i also own lever actions too, and by ratio, i own way more bolt action rifles than any other type. more than likely, i will always own more bolt actions than anything else, but that is a preference. i enjoy my AR, as it is fun to shoot, and if needed can put out many bullets in a very large hurry.

here's one to think about. during the mid 1800's when lever actions first appeared, they were the tactical rifle of their time!

13. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

That is correct grey...but they will eventually.

14. Hyphenated

Is that true while deer hunting? If you need 11 rounds of ammo to get a deer you should stay home. Maybe try knitting.

15. FOUR4D4

Exactly :D

16. Hyphenated

I think the difference in your results may be a generational issue. Older guys tend to be members of VFW Posts and would be more interested in the Enfield. Those same two raffles held over at the Hi Point Forum would be a 'hole nuther' story.

17. SWO1

Yes, thats the regulation for DEER...Turkey its 3...2 in mag, 1 in chamber. And your comment about needing that many is vaid for both.....:)

I have 2 in either rifle or shotgun....never used the second one for deer...and yes I have taken two turkeys ONCE in the fall (season limit) as fast as I could pump the 835.

18. SWO1

The vast majority of the chances were sold to NON-VFW members. Advertised on the internet also. A lot were to gun enthusisits...who a lot of (around here anyway) had no interest in the black rifle.

19. Hyphenated

Well I guess in your neck of the woods the black rifles haven't caught on yet.

20. FOUR4D4

Just look at the muzzle loader people were saying about it being primitive.With the new in line technology there keeping up with the balistics of a 45/70.:cool: