Barrel length comparison

Discussion in 'Other Guns' started by 72Camaro, Jul 15, 2012.

1. 72Camaro

72Camaro Well-Known Member

The black synthetic is my daughter's Marlin 795, the single shot .22cal bolt is a Remington 510 and the barrels have been lined up, not the stocks. That is a gun that is what my grandfather gave my grandmother as an engagement present, probably around 1937. The actual one got stolen when I was a teenager and she had given it to me. She was a better shot than all of us, including my Dad, and I bought this to put back in my collection. It is known as the Grandma Gun. Crazy accurate with iron sights.

[​IMG]

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Very nice Rem. 510. That is a keeper for sure.
    All of those old Remington are known for being crazy accurate. Especially the 500 series Bolt Rifles.
    Heck, even the Nylon Models like the 11, 12, 66, 76 & 77 shot much better than most.
    Thanks for sharing.

Grey

3. 72Camaro

72Camaro Well-Known Member

My Grandmother was tough as nails and lived a great life on the farm until my Grandfather died at 47. The story goes she told Pa (Grandad) to go kill the hawk that was eating her strawberries. He said he was too busy and not worth his time. She said that she would do it if he wouldn't and he laughed at her becuase it was an extremely really long shot. He came in that evening to milk the cows after working somewhere else all day and the hawk was nailed above the barn door spread out so he wouldn't miss it.

4. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

That's a great story. Thanks for sharing.
    I'll bet that it only took one shot, seeing how hawks are shy about gun fire.
    Country folk can survive, or so I hear.