BBQ/Grilling thread?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Shooter, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Who BBQ's on a semi regular basis?

I have a pit I got from my Dad when he moved.

Love the thing. I'm doing some ribs and a brisket this weekend if the weather holds out.

2. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

I grill every chance I get, I have a hickory smoker.Venison Backstaps are great grilled' Life is Good

I Grilled Cajun Catfish Sunday :D

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

3. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

I`m a fair weather griller, but when I do I like a nice T bone

4. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

I live in Florida so it an all year ritual at my house

5. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

MMmmm Love some good BBQ !!!
    Don't often bbq , but when I take the time it is well worth it :cool:
    Need a Drool smiley and pics ;)

6. Shooter

Being in Texas I'm usually the same, but last time I tried to do anything it started raining and we've had sporadic showers all month.

It completely stole my heat when it started raining. Dropped it a good 200 degrees.

7. Shooter

Well the rain came. There went my weekend.

8. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

LOL I had to find some pics from a couple winters ago .

I was missing smokey bbq and my cooker looked neglected .

[​IMG]

So I broke out the snowshoes , shovel , lump charcoal and some beef and pork ribs .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few feet of snow didn't stop me , don't let a lil rain slow you down .

9. JohnnyLoco

JohnnyLoco Well-Known Member

That's cool looking

I grill but don't really smoke much anymore because everyone else does.

10. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i grille and BBQ pretty much year round, sunshine, rain, snow, doesnt matter to me. i grille or BBQ about once or twice a month in the winter, and much more in the summertime. we like to cook outside during the summer, to keep from having to use the oven as much and heating up the house. i have an older gas grille i bought from my brother and my wood grille is made from an old hot water heater tank. my smoker is made from an old 60 gallon hydrolic tank and the firebox from an air tank off a Mack truck. it ain't pretty, but it works awesome. the only money spent on construction was the flat metal for the seams, the hinges and the thermometers. it took about six months to build.

11. Shooter

Well it rained all weekend. Didn't get a chance to get outside let alone grill.

12. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

13. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

grey, this is one of the easier methods of cooking, slow and indirect with smoke. the smaller box on the end is your firebox and the larger one is the smoker part. this is how you make those briskets that the meat just falls off. you cook at a lower temperature for a long time. once you get the hang of it, you will enjoy cooking with it. just kepp the temperature in the smoker at 300 or lower but above 200. use lighter hardwoods for a good flavor. mescuite and hickory are good choices for wood. if you have access to fruitwoods these are also very good to use for smoking, peach, apple, pear, pecan, ect.

14. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

It can take a bit of getting used to. You are going to want at least one or two accurate thermometers to monitor the temps inside the cooking chamber. I've found that hardwood lump charcoal tastes better to me than the lil pressed square things. It doesn't take very much smoke at all to impart a nice smokey flavor on food , big billowing clouds of white smoke will make your food taste like crap.

Here is a link to one of many forums dedicated to the slow smoking / cooking fun.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/

15. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Thanks one and all.
    I've been reading up on tips to get me started.
    From what I've read, the cooker needs to be cured by spraying it with vegetable oil and bring to temp for about 2 hours before attempting to smoke anything. Looks like I need to buy some cooking spray, charcoal, wood chips and a couple thermometers.
    The reason for this purchase is; my daughter and son-in-law want to renew their vows in Sept. and the gr'daughter's wedding is a week later. Both have requested pulled pork. Rather than rent a smoker and pay for someone to run it, I thought I would do it myself. That means that I have a few months to master the process. Should make for some tasty vittles in the mean time. Going to start with some pork ribs and work my way up to pork loins.
    I'm wondering if the smoker can be used to make jerky??

Grey

16. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

grey, i used plain vegatable oil and just put it in a spray bottle. works real good. the fun part of learning is, getting to eat your subject! i think it could be possible to use it to make jerky and have heard that some make jerky this way. i wouldn't mind learning how myself. have you priced jerky in a store? very pricy.

17. Shooter

I'm going to be cooking over an open fire this evening.

I need to find something to attach the hot dogs and marshmallows to.

My friend says I'm crazy for thinking coat hangers.

18. Shooter

The rain ruined that one.

Last minute spaghetti worked out.

19. Shooter

Got to roast.

The contraption I bought didn't work. It was a fold over basket that forced you to get to close to the fire. I modified it to make is usable.

20. Shooter

It also did not wash well. I'm glad I only spent three dollars on it so I guess I'm OK with it, but still it would have been nice to having a working product.