Been a while since I've had a Lever Gun

Discussion in 'Other Marlin Rifles' started by Augustus, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Augustus

Augustus Well-Known Member Supporting

It's been a long time since I've owned a lever gun. Last two I owned were Winchester Model 94 30-30 rifles. Really having a hard time between a 45 Long Colt, .44 Magnum, or a 45-70. The only caliber rifle I own currently of the three mentioned is my Remington / Uberti Revolving Carbine in black powder, with a replacement cylinder that will allow me to shoot 45 Long Colt.

[​IMG]

I'm trying to decide on one of the two seen below.

What say you? All comments very much welcomed.

edited to add - I love shooting 45 Long Colt, and have never shot a LARGE caliber lever gun. But I would love to have one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Would like to have the one below as well. Rossi 44 Mag.

[​IMG]

Dang..... decisions, decisions!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Can't go wrong with an 1894 carbine in .30WCF...I own one and it's taken more Pennsylvania whitetail than all my other hunting rifles combined !!

[​IMG]

3. Augustus

You are correct. Nothing weak about the 30-30. I think I'll start looking for a good used 30-30.

Thanks!

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

And as far as Rossi goes...here's a childhood favorite...from Steve McQueen's 1950's TV series...Wanted: Dead or Alive

[​IMG]

5. Augustus

I think I'm gonna get the Mossberg 464 Cowboy 30-30. :D

6. 444Hal

444Hal Well-Known Member

Right now, as far as feeding it, with the 44mag you have the best chance of getting ammo or reloading components for. The 45/70 is very tough on the shoulder, specially that "Cowboy" with it's hard pad. A far as 30-30's go, they're my favorite, but that's another caliber that ammo manufactures have abandoned until they get the more popular calibers restocked.

7. phantom_geo

phantom_geo Member

Just can't go wrong with a 30-30. My wife and I use them and we have started reloading rounds for them. We have taken a good number of deer with them. Nice to carry and great to shoot.

8. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

I'm going against the grain and vote for ------- the 1894 Cowboy chambered in the 45 LC.
    It would be great for plinking or for hunting in heavy brush country. It would work good for deer or wild boar. It could also double as a home defense weapon because of the extended magazine.

Depends on the intended use. If'n you're want'n to deer hunt in semi-open terrain, the 30-30 would win hands down in my opinion. I seen some 30-30s on the shelf at Walmart the other day so it's still around.

If you reload, the cost per round is about a wash unless you're going to load the 45 LC with cast bullets, whereas you would shave the cost/round a little.

9. Nogoat

Nogoat Well-Known Member

Last deer I dropped was with my 94 in 44 mag, did the job one running in the woods. Also have 30-30 in a Win, never anything but that pesky paper with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Marlin Forum