Blood Pressure Check

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by 28Shooter, Feb 8, 2013.

1. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

To All Those Men Out There Who Never Go The Doctor:

Get your blood pressure checked! I went 20 years of "good health" and no doctors and last Thursday I finally had to go in after 3 days of terrible lower back pain. Doc found that my BP was 280/124 and offered me a ride in an ambulance to the emergency room - I drove myself. After a 5 day stay in the hospital, tied to monitors, IVs, lots of blood tests, belly shots and more, I came home with 6 prescriptions, a BP monitor, and scheduled medical appointments for the next 2 months. My BP this morning was 152/82, still high but better. I was lucky and I thank the Lord for getting me into the doctor and very likely saving me from a massive stroke or major heart attack.

I had no symptons and the doctors are still running tests to figure out why it went so high. Again, I was lucky-no organ damage and still alive. Don't mess with this, it will change your life big time!

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Praise the Lord that you caught it when you did. Glad to hear that things are improving.
    Please keep us updated on your status. We care about you and pray the best for you.

3. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I try to stay on top of it, but I drink a ton of coffee and am overweight. They tried me on some meds but they take all my energy.

If I keep the weight down I'm alright. I have been told to stop on the coffee, but that's easier said than done.

4. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Dang , sounds like a heck of a wakeup call .
    Prayers up for you and the Docs getting things back where they belong .

5. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Good to hear you caught that in the nick of time 28Shooter. I am terrible at going to the doctor's office. However, I was just in the hospital last week so they could do some rear end spelunking. Everything turned out fine and they were very happy with my blood pressure.

I have been told to stop on the coffee, but that's easier said than done.

That ain't no joke Austin....I'm hooked on that stuff like a crack whore.

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Good health to ya 28Shooter !!

Me...112/60

Yea...they check it twice...then laugh when I ask if it's high !! :rolleyes:

Top number: systolic
    (the pressure when the heart beats while pumping blood)

Bottom number: diastolic
    (the pressure when the heart is at rest between beats)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  7. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Thats the way it happened to me!! I went to the Dr. with the flu and spent 5 days in hospital for high blood pressure and gall bladder attack, and the flu. Found it out all at once. I will put you on my prayer list!

8. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Mine is controled by medicine since I was taken away from work with afib.Wich is cuased by my heart being something I was born with thick walls of my heart.My grandfather died at work when he was 46 I think its ironic that i was the same age when my troubles started. since its genitic it makes me wonder

9. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Mines been hi for years. I tried meds once. I got dizzy and nausous..

10. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Better take it real easy Mate
    Looes some weight, if you have any to loose, and time for that much diet change
    and I should talk, I have to drop 50 lbs, as I am getting a good gut on me
    but my last pressure check in November was 130 / 75...That supposed to be good ?
    CHeers
    and take care
    Bucky

11. Shooter

I quit smoking, but I hate to think of the day I quit coffee. How do people stay awake all day?

12. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Ho-lee-smokems shooter. Glad you found out on two feet instead of something dreadful happening to make everyone aware.

I just returned from the Cancer Ctr in Columbia 10 minutes ago. Mine's A-Okay at 96/60...not bad for a fella that was darn near dead 16 months ago.

We can and all should Thank the LORD, more often than some do. Best wishes for getting and keeping your pressure under control.
    -Spoon-

13. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Every time I get to feelin' sorry for myself, I find that I don't have to go very far to find someone worse off than I am!!! lol Good luck to all and prayers sent!

14. Shooter

Same here. Makes me want to keep quiet.

15. 28Shooter

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers everybody. The meds have brought the pressure down to where I'm averaging mid-140s on top and low 80s on bottom but they make me so tired that I've only been able to work 6-hour days this week. Going in next week for an MRI of my "lower abdomen" as the doctor thinks there may be a "secondary cause". I personally think my wife has gotten me pregnant and my pressure is up because I'm nervous about telling her!

16. Shooter

You have to keep moving. I found building up my energy level by taking walks helped, but still it was hard to get to that point.

17. 28Shooter

Thanks for the advice Austin, that's exactly what I'm doing and I think my lab is enjoying all the extra exercise.

18. linne1100

linne1100 Active Member

keep us updated on the pregnancy thing, Shooter.

My BP was elevated last year too, i found that just taking a 30 minute +/- walk every day REALLY helps.... and I take a couple thousand Mg of Vitamin C daily too, on the advice of a 90-something year old Opthamologist I went to see at about that same time. I figure if it`s keeping HIM going, then I want some of THAT.... he was still doing cataract surgeries, up till just 2 or 3 years ago, when the hospital decided that due to his age, they wouldn`t let him operate anymore. amazing stuff !!

19. Shooter

That's good. You should also try going to different places. I get bored on my walks covering the same ground over and over, so weekends especially I go to local parks.

20. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

I have a Dr appointment today wish me luck