Bolt Action 16 gauge

Discussion in 'Other Marlin Rifles' started by MonteG26, Aug 30, 2012.

1. MonteG26

MonteG26 New Member

I just wanted to see how many other guys have or have seen a bolt action shotgun that was magazine fed? I have one I got along time ago from my grandpa when he passed away. I love the gun and would like to get the stock refinished some day.

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Yes, I have seen them with detachable magazines. Although, most bolt shotguns that I've seem had tubular magazines.
    The last bolt shotgun that I had was a tube feed 20 ga. and it went to my son. He wanted it for a beater deer slug gun.
    Although all gun values are going up, if you refinished a bolt gun, it wouldn't have a huge impact on the value. I doubt that it's for sale and if it makes you happy, go-for-it. JMO

3. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

4. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

My father-in law had one...about 40 years ago, a 12 ga. We always called it "The Goose Gun". Never shot it. A friend of mine has one also, a 12 ga. but shorter barrell than the old goose gun. He uses it at turkey shoots....Its a killer at 30 yards. with 7 1//2 shells on those little X,s on 3x5 cards. After he wins about 3-4 turkeys a lot of people want to borrow it.

5. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Not only have I seen them...I owned one. The first shotgun I ever got was a 12ga bolt action with a three shot magazine. My Dad bought it for me. I think he considered the bolt action the safest way to go for a new shooter. He had a side by side 16ga.

6. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

It really makes me feel real nostalgic to see those old inexpensive bolt guns especially when they have adjustable chokes. I lived in the country when I was in junior high school through high school and a number of my friends had them - both tubular and box feed models. I remember that most of them had the balance of a fence post but we didn't know any better and made due. I look for them all the time in the local gun shops but most of what I find are beat to death - apparently others made "due" too.

For you young bucks out there, those of my generation didn't have to carry choke tubes and wrenches, we had everything we needed from cylinder bore to xtra full attached to the end of the barrel with selection requiring only a twist of the hand. Who else remembers the Poly- and C-lect Chokes?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  7. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I just got rid of a Win 1200 20 ga. with a poly choke. It was used by my grandsons to learn shotguns and to shoot their first turkeys.

8. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Yep, I remember the adjustable chokes. My bolt action shotgun had one and it was pretty handy.

9. iowaSteve

iowaSteve New Member

I have a 20 gauge bolt action with a detachable 2 round magazine that my dad bought new in 1967. I bought a .410 bolt action in the same year but it is just a single shot. Both are still like new.

10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Welcome to the Marlin Firearms Forum MonteG26 and iowaSteve !!

Let's see some pictures of these bad boys...

11. iowaSteve

iowaSteve New Member

I've taken a couple of pictures of my 55G 20 gauge and 60G .410, both bought new in 1967.

Attached Files:

12. lisaholcomb69

lisaholcomb69 New Member

My father n law has searched high and low for a mag clip for a 16 gauge bolt action marlin that was made around 1940 Ish can anyone help me I've searched for several hours on the net for a replacement with no luck I'll be calling marlin in the morning but if anyone can add some advice I'd really appreciate it thanks

13. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Mommas boyfriend who`s older than dirt has a bolt action 20 gauge, he shoots raccoons and other such vermin that eyeball the hen house