breaking firing pins if I dry fire

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by 97thSignalman, Apr 17, 2014.

1. 97thSignalman

97thSignalman Member

I have a nice old 336 made in 1951 or 52. If I dry fire it I break off firing pin tips at the shoulder of the pin after just 2 or 3 dry fires. Obviously I should avoid dry firing this rifle. However, I have a number of other 336's and one 1895 cowboy. None of the others exhibit this tendency. What do you suppose is wrong here? I have gotten pretty good at changing firing pins but that doesn't mean that I like it.

Any suggestions (other than the obvious one of not dry firing the gun) as to what I should look for? I am reluctant to take this gun anywhere but the range because it is just too iffy. I want it to be more reliable like my others.

2. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Buy dummy rounds

3. 97thSignalman

97thSignalman Member

Actually dummy rounds are what I have been doing for dry firing since I got this problem. The issue is that if fire all the rounds in the tube without knowing it and cycle the lever one more time and pull the tirgger on an empty chamber, there is s good chance that I will break the firing pin.

That is why I really would like to know what is causing this issue so I can correct it.

4. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

That's not cool at all! Can you detect any wear spots on the old firing pins.

5. 97thSignalman

97thSignalman Member

None that I can see. And, it can occurr after just one or two dry fires so there isn't much to look for.

Maybe I just had the hard luck to ger a couple brittle firing pins with improper heat treatment.

6. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Seems like it would have to be bottoming out on something. I tried to find a schematic, but no luck yet.

7. mm93

mm93 Well-Known Member

Your problem is most likely a sharp edge on the firing pin hole inside the breechblock. Deburring the sharp edge will eliminate the firing pins breaking. A small drill bit a few sizes larger than the firing pin hole will work. Just run it in by hand, or with a battery drive drill, and lightly deburr the hole. Don't get crazy with pressure and go through. Just a light touch.

8. 97thSignalman

97thSignalman Member

Good suggestion...I'll give that a try.
    Thanks.