Bullet Casting Weekend

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Hyphenated, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

My wife was gone on a four day mini vacation this weekend. That left me to make all the important decisions by my lonesome. Stuff like when to get up, what to eat and how to pass the day. It turned into a bullet casting marathon.

I cast five different calibers, 30-30, 32sp, 35rem, 38-55 and 45 colt. I also cleaned up a bunch of scrap lead laying around and turned it into ingots. Like they say a picture is worth a thousand words...so I'll quit typing and let you see the pictures. :D :D

Attached Files:

• L4.jpg
      L4.jpg
      File size:
      63.8 KB
      Views:
    • L5.jpg
      L5.jpg
      File size:
      56.9 KB
      Views:
    • L6.jpg
      L6.jpg
      File size:
      48.5 KB
      Views:
    • L8.jpg
      L8.jpg
      File size:
      61.5 KB
      Views:
    • L9.jpg
      L9.jpg
      File size:
      51.7 KB
      Views:
    • L10.jpg
      L10.jpg
      File size:
      55.5 KB
      Views:
  2. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

hyphen, looks like you cast enough bullets for the next civil war! :D

that's a lot of cast bullets. if you ain't careful, you'll be pulling the weights off the tires on your car!:D

3. Hyphenated

Yep...you don't want to sit too long at a stop sign when I'm around. :D Who do you think puts them little kids up to selling candy at the major intersections. :D You think you're helping the kids...I'm getting wheel weights. ;)

I think I have just enough bullets in case the Mayans are right and we're fending off Zombies later this year. :rolleyes: If they're wrong, it's business as usual at the rifle range.

4. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Looks like you had a productive and satisfying weekend. Never cast any bullets for myself. My ex-father-in-law was big into casting. I molded thousands for him but that was nearly 40 years ago. My son inherited most of his gr'pa's equipment after his death. Now my son molds mostly pistol bullets. I guess that my excuse was, didn't have a space to make that big of a mess and get away with it. In past years, my strategy was to practice with the same loads that I hunted with. Now, with the cost of supplies, I can see a real advantage. But at this season in my life, I can't see making the investment - so I either shoot less or shoot rim-fires.

Is there some law that says you have to use a Blue Bonnet Butter Dish? Looks mighty familiar. :))

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  5. Hyphenated

Greyhawk...If there isn't a law about those butter containers there should be. They come in handy for storing bullets and brass. Coffee cans too...I must have 15 of them full of brass.

6. myg30

myg30 Member

Hyp., I bet you had a good time doing all them and no one around to complain bout the mess, smell and smoke.
    I do mine outside and found that fluxing with some old lube that had bee wax brought them little feller's out of the ground looking for momma ! It was still real cool out a month or so ago.
    Looks like a good idea for today's tasks !!

Mike

7. Hyphenated

Welcome aboard myg30...
    You are right about the mess and smoke. It is definitely a cool weather outdoor event. A long sleeve shirt and gloves are a must. I like doing it in the garage. I hate to set up all the equipment and deal with the mess unless I am going to make it worth my while. Once I'm set up...it stays up for a few days until I have a couple thousand bullets cast.

8. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

If you're not outside are you using an exhaust fan?

9. Hyphenated

Austin,
    I have a three car garage with a 12ft ceiling. It has a single door and double door on one side with a service entrance on the opposite side. I open as many doors as it takes to get good air flow depending on how much breeze there is at the time. The doors on opposing sides really help to keep the air moving and the ceiling height doesn't let any fumes stay low enough to be an issue. Spring time in MO is pretty breezy, so I've never had an issue.

To be an indoor bullet caster year round I think you would need some serious exhaust fans, something commercial grade.

10. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I would think so too. That's why I asked.

It seems those fumes could get to you pretty quickly.

11. myg30

myg30 Member

If you smell the fluxing ( I use saw dust, old lube) then you are breathing in lead fumes.
    Next trip to your doctor , Ask him to check your blood lead level. It's not part of the panel of normal tests so you have to ask. You might check it once a year to check your intake of lead from combo of casting,reloading, shooting ,sorting brass and if you shoot indoor range the smoke might be more than you think.
    Any level less than 10 is limit. I think 35-40 you might need treatment ?
    Damage in youngsters is worse than us old farts but you don't get rid of lead like other metals. The smoke going upstairs hurts the others in your home.
    If you smell the flux, your breathing lead !

Be safe, cast round, shoot straight,
    Mike

12. Hyphenated

Thanks for the heads up myg30. Makes me think I might add a box fan to the garage when casting. I only cast once or twice a year. Either the spring or the fall. I am pretty careful about wearing gloves, not touching my face or eating food when playing with bullets.

13. aka

aka Well-Known Member

@hypenated... The only thing I seen missing in the photo's was a cold beverage. to clinch the caster with. Any hints on how I can get my wife to leave for a few days?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  14. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Sounds like you plan on some shooting

15. Hyphenated

@aka...unfortunately I don't know anyway to get your wife out of town for a few days that doesn't involve her spending your money.

@FOUR4D4
    ...I was planning on doing a lot more shooting this year. I was getting out at least once a week, but this heat is putting a crimp in my style. However, Monday is looking like 85 degrees for the high, so I have already told my wife I'm gonna be busy.

16. aka

aka Well-Known Member

that's the same problem I have

17. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

What are you running those 32 sp bullets through ?
    I've got a model 1936 in 32 win spcl . Never tried cast and don't reload ( yet )

18. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

I had a fun weekend of casting this past week. I used up every wheel weight I had left and cast about a thousand slugs. Time to go see if the old scrap yard lady has any WW left.:)

19. Hyphenated

@1894...I'm running the .32spl's through a 336ADL and a 336SC both from the late 1940's.

@duster066...What were you casting?

20. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

158gr SWC in 357, 240gr SWC in 44, and 230gr RN in 45. All plinkers.