Camping

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Shooter, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Any other campers here?

I pulled out all my stuff last night and set it up to make sure it survived last summer and the winter storage.

A few bugs but all is well.

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

We have enjoyed camping over the years. Started out with a tent. Still have some camping accessories laying around. Gas cook stove, gas lanterns, sleeping bags, cot, mats, air mattresses and a two man tent that is seldom used. At our age, tent camping isn't much fun. I don't mind it for a few days but my wife says "absolutely not".
    In the 70s, we had a 13' Hi-Lo camper that I towed to Pa. for deer hunting.
    2 years ago, we took a 22 day trip to Idaho and back in our 2010 18' R-Pod. That was a good trip. We are planning a trip for this May & June to the Grand Canyon and back. Should be another good trip. We stay at KOAs most of the time. Here is a link to the R-Pod.
    http://www.couchsrvnation.com/2012-R-Pod-176-nbsp/vd/9351201
    Camping is great fun. If you haven't tried if, you should (IMO).

Back when my son was a teenager, I was an assistant Boy Scout Leader. That involved several camping trips and was great fun. Even the Klondike Dirby where the temps were below freezing and we had 3" of snow on the ground. That was before hand warmers and a source of heat wasn't allowed in the tents. Fun was had by all.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

3. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

I love it the primitive way. If I can't carry it I don't need it or want it. I've been doing it that way for my whole adult life. The wife quit going about 23 years ago. She didn't like feeling like a pack mule. Ironically some of her favorite memories of our young life together are times when we humped up hills till we dropped.

4. Shooter

I feel you on the tent camping not being as much fun as it used to be.

After waking up after sleeping on one I always feel wrecked. I've done some pretty cold camping.

Worst nights ever. We all woke up shaking and hurting pretty bad. Everyone except the guy who packed several extra blankets and refused to share them.

He was fine.

I do all the carrying for that exact reason. Camping for me needs to be semi close to our Vehicle as I will be lugging it around.

5. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

close to the truck? heck i use an air mattress and use the bed of the truck to sleep in! that way i'm up off the ground from any snakes! i hate snakes and they like to find a warm place to sleep too!

6. Shooter

I did that when I had a truck.

Loved it. Could come and go as I pleased.

I got side swiped by a driver with no insurance. Had to sell the thing. It was a sad day for me.

7. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

gotta hate it when that happens. :eek:

8. Shooter

I did. It was my first decent car that ran well. Before that I had had beaters and they were always breaking down.