Can't wait on S&W

Discussion in 'Other Guns' started by SWO1, Jan 18, 2013.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Was told today that my order for the Model 22A-1 in 7" barrel will be up to 3 month out......at best. I cant wait that long. I bought the 5.5" he had in the shop. From all the reviews it shoots as good only difference is the longer sight radius.

I put about 200 rds of various brands thru it this afternoon. I have two that it really likes, Centeriun 40gr, both HP and solids. Also the CCI 36gr HP MiniMags. I have about 3000 of those so hopefully I can reach my goal of 6" constant groups at 15yds before the ammo runs out......or it gets back into the supply chain.

The gun shoots a lot better than I can at the moment. Sights are black on black.....not good. I have mounted a reddot and will zero it in tomorrow at 15yds. Zero will be done off a rest on the bench. This will also indicate what the gun is capiable of with my ammo. What a time not to be able to get .22........:(

My schedule will start at the 5yd line. Under 2" groups here and I will start moving back 2 yards at a time. My plan is increasing the groups no more than 3/4" at each stage to advance to the next level.

All this is in preperation for attending an NRA Pistol Instructors Course in March or April. This certification is required to be certified to instruct CCW and/or any Self Defense or Handgun training in Missouri. I am, in conjunction with my local Gun Shop owner, exploring renovation of a building he has on the shop property for the class. Also there is a concrete structure that is about 1/3 height of what would be required to house an indoor range of from 4-5 lanes. As it sits now it would surfice for the distance for CCW and Self Defense shooting.

2. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

As Mick Jagger said, "You can't always get what you want,...but you can get what you need!" It's just to bad that you couldn't get the one that you wanted. Sounds like the one you got is a good one though.

3. SWO1

I got the reddot sighted in at 15 yds. Holds well under 1" group, probley better than 3/4. The reddot is a cheap Tasco so will see if it holds center thru the process. I used the Centuron LR, 38gr. HPs. Took 60 rds in 43dg, and probley a 20mph wind from right to left and BRIGHT sunlight. Had to crank up the dot to 3 to pick it up. Last 2 groups of 5 were all well within the 1" center. Hopefully this afternoon the wind will die down and temps will go up some. Also sun will be behind me and not in my eyes.

The pistol and ammo are good to go. Now for the hard part....ME...:eek:

The NRA course requirements calls for either four 5 shot groups of 6" or under or two 10 short groups. They are to be shot at 15yds standing, unsupported with a two handed grip. Any pistol with any sight can be used. Target is a 9" PLAIN PAPER PLATE....NO RINGS. Groups must be inside 1/2" of the outside diamiater of the plate.

Attached Files:

4. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

5. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Cant beat a new Smith

6. SWO1

At about 1500 it was 60deg, sunny, but still WINDY. But I went to the 5yd. line anyway. Stabled a 9" white paper plate on the target frame, loaded the mags with 5 rounds each and began.

First time I have shot with a reddot on a pistol freehand.......:rolleyes: FOLLOW THE BOUNCING BALL !!! Even at 5 yards after about a 2 second hold...away it goes. Took at least 40 rounds to get the hang of it. It was all rythem....well for me anyway. I went thru 100 rds in this first session. I ended up putting the last 6 groups of 5 in neat little 1" groups. I must admit....suprised even myself. I fought the wind a lot and quit after that. Next session I will begin again at the 5 and if I can duplicate the 1" groups with my rythem shooting I will retreat to the 7yd line. I may camp out a while there until the 1 3/4" groups come.

The gun performed flawlessly. The ammo is DIRTY but shoots well. I rechecked the reddot during cleaning and all seemed tight.

More to come.....soon I hope

7. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

thats a sharp lookin gun, man!

8. Badpe48

Badpe48 Active Member

Great choice in a .22 pistol. I have the same model 22A, but with the HI-VIS sites. They are much better than plain black. I purchased the gun in April and am extremely happy with it. As you said, the gun shoots better than I can hold it on target freehand, but I am getting better. I just need to keep practicing. .22 Ammo is getting hard to find these days. I hope the supply catches up with demand soon.

9. SWO1

I would much rather shoot the open sights than the reddot, but the black on black, for my eyes are a no go. Smith does have the replacement barrels with the Hi-Vis sights. As greyhawk posted I also looked at getting a Holographic sight but I had the reddot so tried it first. A good Holographic is about the price of a replacement barrel with the good sights but again is hard to come by right now.

Some good news on the .22 ammo ~! The gun shop yesterday was able to locate and place an order for CCI although just in the 100 packs and not bulk. I have read on other forums that it is comming back on line in other areas of the country also.

10. SWO1

No seperate forum for optics or sights so I will stick this here. While waiting for the frost to melt and temps to get up to go back to the range I have been researching sights for the Smith 22A. Probley will update the cheapo Tasco Red Dot with something a little better. Found a lot of interesting information.

One write-up by Chuck Hawks who is usually pretty good on a lot of different firearm related subjects seems to be WAY OFF on Red Dot technology. He states that they are NOT acceptiable for Target and precission shooting. Guess the Compatition Bullseye Pistol Shooters worldwide havn't read or agree with his opinion.

Of the two types, Tube Red Dot, and Holographic Red Dot, the predominant style in use in Bullseye compatition is the Tube style. Both were introduced to aid those of us with vision problems in the 80s and have advanced to a high degree of popularity with all shooters. I would say that if the leading shooters at Camp Perry use them then there are no accuracy issues as Chuck says....maybe it's just him.

Looking at the selection there is a WIDE price range, $30 to well over $2,000. Interesting tho is the most widley used in compatition is one that runs from $195 to $250, guess price isn't everything. I would think that someone that competes at the highest level would not be using a sight of approx. $220 if it was not the best for the application, in this case percision pistol from 15-50 yards.

The make I am referring to is "ULTRADOT". I have provided their link in case anyone is interested. I have looked high and low and seems they are only availiable from a very few places, most notably the maker. After the next couple of range session one may be "IN SIGHT" for me.....:cool:

http://www.ultradotusa.com/ultradotdist2010_011.htm

11. greyhawk50

Here is a pic of my Ruger Mk-II with the Reflex.
    [​IMG]

Dunham Sports was selling them for $40. Then you would get a 20% discount on another purchase a few days later as part of the receipt. The last that I looked, they went up to $50??
    I have 3 total. One on my crossbow, one on my 30-30 and a spare that came off of the Ruger. The spare may go on my 50 cal. ML??? They have the Weaver Base Mount. I'm pretty pleased considering the price.

12. SWO1

Good looking setup grey...The Ruger MK series are nice pistols. I shot those as well as the Browning BuckMarks. I liked them both.

The one I shot didnt have the rail, do they come drilled for it ??. The Smith has the rail as part of the barrel. Takes a Weaver ring.

Since you have three, must like the Reflex pretty good....:cool:

13. greyhawk50

The Competition Target Model came drilled and tapped with a stainless rail & rings but it wasn't the standard 3/8" or the Weaver. A unique design that is hard to explain. If you really want to know, I'll take a picture.
    The Reflex is a Weaver Mount and yes, the weaver rails can be bought. I believe that I payed $20 but they are higher now (about $30). Mine looks like this.
    [​IMG]

14. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

those are some real nice target pistols..You ever hunt small game with them?
    only .22 pistol I own is an old heritage single action, these here look a lot more fun, would be a great match for my 10/22. You know they`d be real handy in deer season also for grouse and such...HMMMM you got me thinkin now...

15. greyhawk50

Thanks.
    I've only punched holes in paper with the Target Models. I've owned 2 in my lifetime.
    However, I once owned a Std. Mod. MK-II (actually, several) that I carried when I was coon hunting. Nearly as accurate as the Target Model.
    Most people don't realize that a raccoon seldom goes to the very top of a tree and must trees are less than 60' tall, so a 40' shot or less is very doable with a pistol. ;)

16. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

Hey buddy, I bought one for my oldest son. It's not quite as reliable as my middle kids 22/45 (ammo picky), but it shoots as well, and I like the way it handles better.

I'm pretty sure the barrels are interchangeable on these guns, so you can order that 7" barrel and be good to go.

17. SWO1

So far the only round I had ejection problems with were Sub-sonic. They shot well but didnt have the umph to cycle the gun. All High-velocity, Federal, CCI, and Centeriun (a Mexican brand) have functioned flawlessly. I have about 600 rds thru it so far and no issues. A good selection of barrels, both in 5.5" and 7". Bull, fluted, and with High-Viz sights. Probley the easiest pistol I've seen to field strip and clean. I have a set of Target Grips on Order, as well as extra recoil spring buffer pads.

On the first cleaning and re-assembly the spring quide, spring, and pad went flying. The pad is "somewhere" in the shop, just have to find it. Came with 3. Smith suggests changing them every 800-1200 rds when shooting Hi-vel rounds. Inspect it every cleaning and watch for flatning and replace it.

18. SWO1

Today I will return to the range. It's supposed to be in the 50s by this afternoon. The last couple of days have been unaccepatable to shoot. I will return to the 9yrd line to see if I still hold the 2 1/4" groups and then will go to the 11. On cleaning gun after the last session the Tasco red dot was loose. It may or may not still be holding center. As I retreat futher back there seems to be a parallex issue with it. On research this is a common problem with cheaper red dot sights. This has to do with the quality of the lens. None are 100% parallex free as some claim, but there are those that are better than others.

19. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

Yup, once that locking lug gets broken in and you figure out how to hold the slide on while reattaching the barrel they are way easy to clean. Because they have large frame feel and handling I'd do one for me in a minute if I found a good deal. And I kind of think ours is a tad bit more accurate than the Ruger, but it hates Remington's golden bulk and is very finicky with Win bulk too. The Ruger doesn't like those much better, so we stick with Fed for bulk and CCI for serious work.

20. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Our CHILL will give you & me a break Sun-Tue possibly. If it doesn't rain...I got an urge that is overdue some satisfaction. Like the looks for the Smith. 6 in groups at 15 for a seasoned Marine? I could do amazing things with my Mk II 20 or more years ago, like keep a 20ga shell hoping on the ground with my dominant hand as long as I could see a portion of it. Now...I'll still shoot at them, but I don't expect them to move more than twice thru a 10-round mag and that's with a two-hand grip!

Thanks for the info on the DOT scopes. That could definitely increase probabilities:eek: