Cleaners: sonic VS tumbler

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by oldbrass, Mar 16, 2013.

1. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Been using the washing machine with good results, however The bag came open and Sandy wasn`t happy when she did laundry this morning...So I`m in the market for a cleaner, I`ve never had one and am in dire need of suggestions. Nothing to big but one that works without breaking the bank. I guess they`ll all work but there`s to many to choose from.
    Will all be bottle neck rifle brass

Thanx O.B. (former laundry expert)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  2. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

I use a Frankfort Arsenal EZSonic

The smaller one of the two...I wish I would have gotten the bigger size. The small one says it will; hold 125 .223 empties. I question that as I can only load in about 30 or so .30-30 empties.

It works very well for cleaning but I have some stained cases from my 45 LC that had been used with 777 and also 209. Neither powder satisfied me because the stain is so hard to remove. I went to smokeless and now I don't have that problem.

I have a friend who got a vibrasonic cleaner for a good price at Harbor Freight. He loves it. Just make sure you use the correct cleaner for brass. There is a different formula for parts, like gun parts.

Leaves no residue like the chemical saturated vibrator media does. Only one problem I found is that the liquid dirties up fast and unless you filter it and add a spot of the chemical to replenish, it doesn't clean very many batches. It can get expensive, or at least it seems wasteful so order a couple quarts at a time, or a gallon. Coffee filters work ok.

Give one a whirl. I think you will like it. Oh, liquid cleaners do a good job on primer pockets and do not leave pieces of corncob or other media stuck in the priming hole.

3. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Hombre I picked up the Lyman 2500 Ultrasonic yesterday afternoon. I cleaned the 40 pieces of 30-06 brass I have to test it. I`m very impressed so far, the primer pockets and inside of brass look new. I Used a capfull of Hornady one-shot brass cleaner. I loaded some up this morning and hope to get to the range this afternoon

4. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Vibrasonic Cleaner

Glad it is workin out. I plan to get a bigger one sometime. Hopefully I can start shooting enough again to justify another cleaner. I have 3 tumblers back in Iowa. I like this vibrasonic so much better...I may sell the other ones.