Cold Blue

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Rooster59, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Rooster59

Rooster59 Well-Known Member

I've never used a bluing to repair small scratches, etc. and would like to get some input from others who have used the cold bluing options.

I have reshaped or modified a few sights and have a small scratch on the barrel of my 1895CB that I would like to repair. Actually the scratch is really where the bluing was rubbed off from wear of a ladder sight.

What bluing should I get and what kind of experience can you offer in surface prep, etc.?

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

I've tried different cold blue products.
    This is, IMO, the best that you can find.
    http://www.vansgunblue.com/
    I bought a 3 bottle kit at a gun show and was very impressed. De-greaser, Blue & Oil.
    Just follow the instruction. Especially the part about NOT using a Q-Tip. Cotton contains Lanolin that will really mess up the process. I used an old tooth brush.
    I hope this helps.
    Grey

3. Rooster59

Thanks greyhawk. I'll check it out.

4. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip Greyhawk.

5. Rooster59

Greyhawk that stuff sounds amazing. I'll have to order a small bottle for my touchups. Now I won't be afraid to file the sights on my wife's single action 22lr with SAA style fixed sights.

6. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

I've used cold bluing for touch ups. The receiver on my win94 has most of the bluing worn off from years of handling, and it rusts there very easily. I cleaned it up with scotch bright and used cold blue. It beautifies the gun a bit, and helps control rusting, but it doesn't last very long. I touch up wear and scratches using it too. I haven't found it very durable or what I'm after. I'm doing my first project gun right now, and I'm going to tool up to hot blue.

7. lever addict

lever addict Member

I'll give another vote for the Van's gun blue. I redid an old 1897 Wichester shotty and it turned out beautiful. I heated my parts with a hairdryer first which gave a deep blue color!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

leveraddict, those parts came out looking good. where are you getting the Vans blueing from? i have used the Birchwood Casey products with mixed results, some things look great, some things look like crap. but i would really like to try out the Vans.

9. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

How durable is it? Can it take a workout for a whole season? Birchwood Casey is the stuff I use and it can't in this rain.

10. Rooster59

Van's will sell direct. See the link further up in the thread. I need to order some today.

11. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

That looks clean.

How difficult was it?

12. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

thanks rooster, i will check them out.

13. Kentucky_Transplant

Kentucky_Transplant Active Member

I have used the 2 types of cold bluing. The Birchwood Casey and Perma-Blue. I have not yet tried the Vans but may at some point when my current supplies run out. I will say that I liked the perma-blue better. I used it on a early 1900's Cannon Breech Shotgun. I will say that multiple coats will darken the finish (which I liked). I am very pleased with this one more so than the first but the first wasn't too bad considering it was the first time I tried it!
    Just my 2cents!

Kelly

14. Rooster59

Well my order from Van's should arrive later this week. I'll try it out a little on a couple inconspicuous places this weekend.

15. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Van's Cold Blue

Here is a quick and dirty example of Van's Cold Blue. I just cleaned this with the Citrus De-greaser and applied a liberal amount of the Van's Bluer with a tooth brush.
    Not too bad for a model 1907 that was mfg. in 1912.
    Before and after.

Attached Files:

16. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Thank you, nice work

17. UncleSarge58

UncleSarge58 Member

Best Cold Blue I've Ever use By Far is Brownell's Oxpho Blue.
    Degreasing, Completely, First w/ Hot Water & Dishwashing Soap, followed by a Wipe down w/ Acetone, Is the Key to a Good Cold Blue.
    Also Helps to Heat the Part before Application.
    For Application, Use a Freshly Washed piece of White T-Shirt or Cotton Cloth.
    Wear Rubber Gloves when Handling the Parts to be Blued.
    Buff w/ 0000 Bronze Wool (Also available at Brownell's) Between 1st 3 Coats.
    Wipe down w/ 3 in One Oil after Final Coat.
    Allow to Set 5-10 min Between Coats. 3-5 Coats results in a Deep Blue Black finish that Lasts Years.
    UncleSarge58

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  18. mm93

mm93 Well-Known Member

Ditto on Brownell's Oxpho Blue! I've used it for touch ups, and complete bluing jobs over the years. Bought a gallon a decade ago, and it sits under my work bench. Use it often, and always with good results if I do the prep properly.