Colored Stocks

Discussion in 'General Marlin Discussion' started by Kentucky_Transplant, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Kentucky_Transplant

Kentucky_Transplant Active Member

Just curious what others think of some of these colored wood stocks being manufactured?? I myself like the natural wood finish or cammo. Any other thoughts???

Kelly
    Henderson, KY
    [​IMG]

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with the natural wood finish, especially on older firearms. Older guns lose their appeal if they don't have wood furniture, JMO.
    However, I'm OK with Black Synthetic or Salt & Pepper Laminated on the newer firearms if they are stainless.
    As for the stocks in your picture, I'm not fond of the looks of the pistol grip. Just me. However, I do like the looks of the straighter thumb hole stocks.
    One of our members (brain freeze) posted a photo of a Ruger #1 Stainless with a Salt & Pepper Laminated Stock. That is a beautiful rifle.
    Here is a 10/22 that I gave my Gr'daughter. I bought it because I liked the way it looked. Then she tugged on my heart strings until I put it back for her. It was her favorite, because of the stock.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

3. JohnnyLoco

JohnnyLoco Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of the natural (brown) laminate.

4. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Yeah, I like the nutmeg brown or gray ones. The MXLR's have an attractive stock.

5. JohnnyLoco

35 LTD grey/blk

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  6. Kentucky_Transplant

Kentucky_Transplant Active Member

I guess I should clarify also that I have no problem with the rifles in the pics posted by grewhawk or johnny. The stainless is also a good match for salt & pepper. It's the red & blue & purple that I don't care much for. The pic I posted was pulled on a google search at random.

Kelly
    Henderson, KY

7. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

That's a sharp looking Ruger there Greyhawk!

8. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I posted on another thread that I bought it 12-13 years ago at Wal Mart for $180. My Gr'daughter (now 17) took a real liking to it so I put it back in the box and saved it for her. It was unfired. I had acquired a Ruger Soft Side Case and a Ruger Sling for it. Also had 2 scope bases and 2 high cap. mags. Via her mother (to meet legal requirements) I gifted it to her for her 17 th. birthday. She is a happy camper. Now I owe her a trip to the range.
    As I said, I'm attracted to salt & pepper laminated stock with stainless.
    To each his/her own. That's why they make so many different stocks. ;)
    Johnny; That is a sharp look'n 35 LTD. How does it shoot???

9. JohnnyLoco

Its a tack driver, Thanks. My only two hunting rifles left are this and a Model Seven. The 35 is 2" shorter and half as wide
    as the bolt action. Its my goto for sure. I've since scoped it with a 20mm again.

I'm not real fond of the black/grey laminate but it is what it is. I like brown only. I will say the SS and this laminate both blend well
    in the woods like "predator". You don't want to lay it down an take a piss.

My son has a SS/Lam 10/22 like above except compact 16" barrel. Special Davidson's run.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  10. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

here are some of my Boyd's laminate stocks. the brown one is on a Savage M93r17 rimfire, the grey on on a Marlin XS7 in 7mm-08. i am very impressed with these stocks. very good quality at a decent price.

Attached Files:

11. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Very well done!

12. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 Active Member

For me it depends on the firearm as to what I want for a stock. Generally I gotta have walnut but for some, the 10/22's especially, I can definitely go for the laminates. Have tied with doing a build on a Marlin as well using on of these above. I do wish someone started making the laminate stocks in some different color schemes. Too many of the same old same old colors.

13. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

check out Richards Microfit stocks. they come in some wild colors. they also carry many different grades of walnut and their prices are not too bad. i have used Boyd's Gunstocks on two different rifles and am very pleased with the results of them. their prices are very reasonable also. i am still very conservative when it comes to my gun stocks and lean more to a traditional look over wild and colorful.

14. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 Active Member

Yeah, I've seen their stuff and read too many not-so-flattering reports about their stuff too. Poor to horrible fitment seems a common thing with their stocks. I have a few Boyd's stocks and some Revolution ones along with an early Fajen and a brand new one made by Altamont.

15. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

I have an image I've been carrying around in my head for a while. I very dark, near black, stained hardwood with a very very lightly red tinted clear top coat. I've been meaning to try it on my Marlin 700 (a Big Five 70, or heavy barreled 70 depending on which source is accurate).

16. Centaur 1

Centaur 1 Member

For the life of me I can't understand how gun manufacturers can claim that walnut is too expensive, when Henry can afford to put a nice grade of walnut on their lowest priced .22 rifles. With that being said, when it comes to alternative stock options, I would much rather have a laminated stock than either birch or composite. Actually laminate stocks like the pictures you posted are pretty cool looking, on the other hand the ugly plywood stocks that Remington puts on their 870's are horrible.

17. kybeagle

kybeagle Member

I didn't really care for the laminates at first but now I kind of like them, especially the gray with stainless steel. Still undecided about the real colorful ones.

18. keman

keman New Member

I wish I had a pic of my first 45-70. I stripped the original stock, restained it green, and gave it a few coats of marine poly. Turned out very nice. Sadly, I sold it due to bills and unemployment. I did replace it, just have not done any custom work on the new one. .. yet....

19. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Not a fan of multi-colored stocks...I tend to stick to walnut and traditional woods...

I don't mind synthetic tho...

20. save in uk

save in uk New Member