Countdown to "Thunder Chicken" season

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by SWO1, Aug 27, 2012.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

The whole month of October is Turkey time here in Missouri. Here at my place have a few runnin around. Got one little group of 5 hens at my main area (turkey and deer) also see a lone gobbler once in a while. Havnt heard any Gobblin so far....should be soon tho.

Attached Files:

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Very nice pictures.
    Makes me a little envious. :D
    Wishing you a safe and successful season. ;)

3. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Im thunderstruck

4. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Great pictures! It's been so dry here turkeys have been bedding down all day in the deep grass along my pond.

5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Great "shots" of the turkeys...!!

Hope you see that many opening day...

6. bmarg

bmarg Well-Known Member

You can't shoot that first one, you have to wait until the beard is dragging on the ground! ;)

7. SWO1

The season is commin quick. Will take down the feeders on the 19th. They have to be gone 10 days prior to opening day. cant hunt over bait in Mo. Ill move the feeders to other areas I dont turkey hunt for deer season. The acorns are startin to drop so the critters will have something to eat finally. Deer and Turkey favor the Red Oak Acorns over the White Oak even tho they are smaller....taste better I quess. 1 Oct is on a monday....the boys have school....they were both lookin pretty puny today so probley will be sick that day..LOL but their mother is a nurse....so we got 14 days to come up with something !!!! All three of us got to be there to ambush that flock that shows up pretty regular in the mornings. I figure 3 well timed together is the ticket. 3 beak loads of #6 shot and were done with the season. Can start sighten in the deer rifles.

8. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

What? All three of you gonna pot shoot your two birds on opening morning and be "done with the season"? Good luck on the birds keeping their appts with destiny. And have a safe drive day after tomorrow while you retrieve your deer pellets.

I've got THE itch and the darn wind has been too high to even think about checking rounds/rifles and scopes. Sounds like some areas have been "bit" bad with the midges. Of course the media distorts things with "hundreds of deer reported dead". Apparently not around here. Just took a short drive...they're out everywhere this evening, at least the bald tops.

9. SWO1

Yea Spoon, when they flock up like that ya got to "gun em down" quick before they rush ya. Of course the hens not havin any spurs you can take em on hand to hand if youre by yourself......:eek: Darn Conservation limits ya to only 3 rounds so I'll have to take the whole Fire Team to make it a fair fight.........:rolleyes: But you know how it goes, somehow they get ahold of the season schedule and beat feet to Arkansas about 30 Sept...ALMOST EVERY YEAR !!!! Here is that mean bunch that shows up every morning, same place....exactly 25yds in front of the blind....imigane that......:rolleyes:

My 11 year old has picked out the black doe as the one he is gonna take and the 13 year old has settled on the other one. Guess Ill have a bologna sandwich.

Attached Files:

10. SWO1

OK, heres the Battle Plan. The boys will spend the night at my house Sunday night. Before Taps we will stage the 782 gear and weapons. My Mossy 835 with 3 rounds of Federal 3" #6s, Oldest ones 835 with Fiocchi 2.5" #6s and the youngest one with a Mossy 500 20 ga. with a full mag (3) of Rem 3" #5s.

Reville will go at 0500 for the team, I get up at 3-3:30, got to have my coffee (nectar of life) in peace and quiet on the back porch. After a harty breakfact for the boys (I do better on an empty stomach) they will pack early morning snacks and lunch. All of which they will have eatin by 8-8:30....lol

We will enter the ambush site by 0600 hrs. Sit up in the blind and establish fields of fire. Settle down and WAIT. Just at the first sight of light, around 0630 I will begin an alluring chant on the ole box call. Actually works sometimes...

If Recon has been correct intended targets will appear in the Kill zone by 9-10, Hopefully earlier. After a brief but deadley fire-fight, At 1030 hours we will tote the dead critters back home and I will deliver the younguns to school with a note stating that they came down with the "Turkey Pox" over the weekend but have now recovered, and not to worry its not contagious until Next April.....Spring Turkey Season. But be forewarned there could be complications around the middle of Nov.....Deeritis.....:eek:

But as we all know, The Best Laid Plans of Mice, Men, and Hunters, Fishermen for that matter, often go astray. Results forthcomming.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  11. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have a great battle plan Sir :cool:

12. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Give them birds some leeway...maybe you 3 will get lucky and they'll pay your outpost an early visit! Again...best of luck in gathering the fall birds for the table.

13. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

The original Thunder Chicken

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNC2XLb1Q_E&feature=related[/ame]

14. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

OK...you twisted my arms and I made my $13 contribution for 2 fall turkey tags. Guess we'll see what DESTINY holds? I'll check this evening for your opening day results.

15. SWO1

Only ONCE have I ever limited out on opening morning, and this wasn't it....:p. But didn't get skunked either, and most years do the first day. It was great weather, partley cloudy, bout 55 deg, no wind. Had been getting shots of the Turkeys around 10-1030 so really figured thats when they would show up. About 8 a couple of deer wondered in. One doe was standing so close to the blind we could have peted her. I REALLY had it figured the birds would come in from the SE, almost always do at this spot. Didnt even have the shooting ports open on the back. At 1035 I glanced over my left sholder and HERE THEY COME, single file down the trail. About 50 yds from the blind they veer off into the brush. HOW DO THEY KNOW.....:confused: They reappear on the north side of the clearing in the brush line. They are headed East, away for us. Nobody has a shot but Carson, my oldest Grandson. I hand him a Winchester 3.5" #4 and tell him to take the 40 yrd shot thru the brush. As the last bird starts to dissapear into the thick stuff......There is an explosion of Leaves, branches....AND FEATHERS. BIRD DOWN. It's a small hen, but hey, beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick......:cool:

Attached Files:

16. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Well done. Sometimes you just have to improvise. Thanks for the report.
    Now we're ready for chapter two.

17. SWO1

Have the bird checked in with Conservation, do it on-line or by tele....works great. When I cleaned it there were "5" #4s in the Brain-Housing-Group....that'll take any Turkey, Great shot Carson on a moving target thru the brush !! He said he was hopen he didn't have to shot again, that 3.5" HURT.... for a 13yr old kid, 6', 225 lbs, I said: What a Whuss.........:D

Still have 29 more days to go. Boys will be down to just weekends now, no more missing school, Opening day is Special, still had em to class by 1145.

18. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

OK...SWO1, Where's the dirty birds at. Please don't tell me you granted clemency? I didn't feel worth a darn, so I passed on today and the birds I'm thinking about will not be bothered unless I rile them up. Next day or two maybe. I'll keep checking for the pics of your grand harvest!

19. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Good on the grandson's shot and harvest. Hope you get your fill, 'cause there's plenty of those big birds to be had in MO woods and fields. I don't how the system or I missed the post with the boy and his bird. I guess he'll have to save some $$$ and buy a gas operated scattergun so the big rounds don't hurt. Oh the memories along that line. 28 more days.

20. SWO1

A call to the gun shop and my primers wont be in until friday.....Sooooooo it's back to the Turkey woods I go. I decide to take the little 20 Ga. with the Red Dot......would prove to be a BAD DECISION.

Sat in the blind for three hours, callin my little heart out......nothing, just woodpeckers. I decide to walk around the cross fense to the North and back home. About 1/4 mile around I JUMP EM !! They scatter, I fling up the 20 and from about 40 yds I drop one. The rest Beat feet into the brush.

I continue on around and just below the house they come runnin across the lane. Only this time they are a good 50+ yards out and goin away. I know the 20 wont reach but I pull up and unload my last shell anyway. I see the dust and leaves kick up about 3 ft. short.........:( If i would've had my 835 it would have been my limit, but got one, another Juvinile Hen. About the same size as Carsons. No school friday so we all will be out and make a combat sweep......:D 4 more birds to go.

Attached Files: