crossbolt safety

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by tahoe2, Dec 11, 2012.

1. tahoe2

tahoe2 Well-Known Member

I want one without it, but would like it as new (used) as possible without the safety. I have a 1980 375 and it does not have the safety.

2. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

I think that starting in 1984 the extra safety came on all the lever actions.

3. Rooster59

Rooster59 Well-Known Member

I believe that is correct. I have an '84 Texan with the CBS. I think that is the first year of the 336TS (T=Texan, S=Safety).

4. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

If it's not an aesthetic thing you might not mind it. I've carried a 94 Win as my primary rifle for 30 years. When I bought my M94C I was a little worried the safety might change my habits or something. I wanted it gone real bad. But I started cowboy action and hunting with the gun and found the safety to be a non factor if I want it to be, or I can use it when it's real nice to have it, climbing trees and such. It looks funny, but I've found it a net positive.

5. tahoe2

tahoe2 Well-Known Member

I had a 30AS years ago with the safety and didn't care for it.
    To me a marlin is like a revolver, no safety needed if handled correctly.
    Efficient and simple, straightforward function. I like it !:D

6. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

I agree with your idea of lever gun safety. I'm using mine because I have never cleared a gun to negotiate an obstetrical like we are supposed to. And here it would be impractical as you would never have a round chambered when it counted. So I use the safety because it's there and I sometimes do fall. ;)

7. Zekest Crowe

Zekest Crowe Member

8. Plumber

Plumber Well-Known Member

I have a 1983, 336 ER that has a cross bolt safety. (the first year with the cross bolt safety).

None of my other 336s have them. I used it for unloading the gun. Other than that I didn't use it.

9. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

removed it from my 336, I kept the original parts though. If I ever sell it (UNLIKELY) I`ll re-install it..

10. texsun

texsun New Member

just put a rubber o-ring on it. if you ever need it, the ring comes off and its just like new.

11. xtratoy

xtratoy New Member

It is simple to remove the sliding safety and replace with with a piece of round stock notched for the firing pin and the same width as the receiver. It is held in place by the same screw that holds the detent ball and spring for the sliding safety. I made mine from brass round rod and polished the ends for a bit of bling.

12. wsmrto

wsmrto Member

I hate to admit what happened last Nov on my Elk hunt: I had been working a gorge that comes out to a tank at about 8000 ft and had earlier put on the CBS. I have a few levers w/o the damn thing and had not pushed it off. Well of course three nice big fat Cows (Elk) jumped out from a deadfall and took off, I raised the rifle got on the last one in the line and pulled the trigger++ Click++. Didn't get another chance the next 2 days. NO MEAT in FREEZER!!

13. vitkop

vitkop Member

A tiny o-ring around the safety works very well. Costs a few cents. I forget what size but I found the idea online it might have even been this forum.

Attached Files:

14. vitkop

vitkop Member

Woah. I skimmed a little too quick and didn't realize someone already brought it up

15. superstroke

superstroke New Member

Hi all, new here and just got into Marlin LAs. In an answer to the cross-bolt safety, has anyone here tried the Saddle Ring Safety? It sold (temporary sold out) online at "Saddle Ring Safety Delete _ beartooth mercantile". Looks pretty cool, although I'm still waiting to buy one (available two-three weeks). Let me know what you think.

SS

16. tahoe2

tahoe2 Well-Known Member

superstroke

That is awesome ! and welcome aboard, enjoy the ride. ;)

17. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

A belated Welcome superstroke...and thanks for the link about the safety delete. Grandson blew an opportunity on a really nice buck because of that confounded CBS. Great idea...thanks for the info.

18. FordTruck

FordTruck Well-Known Member

Thank you, Superstroke. :)

19. KS95B40

KS95B40 Active Member

20. outlw21

outlw21 New Member

beartooth mercantile sells crossbolt safety deletes blued or stainless and safety deletes with saddle ring also in blue or stainless. work well and look great.