Desert Eagle Update.

Discussion in 'Other Guns' started by squirrelhunter, Dec 22, 2015.

1. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Last April I sent my Desert Eagle 44 mag back because the Weaver rail on the barrel was .020-.025 undersized and the clamp on reflex sight I have won't quite tighten up enough,almost but not quite so in the process of trying to figure out if it was the sight or gun I found out the rail was undersized. The email I got from them verified it was undersized but the entire stock was undersized,I suspected they had their specs undersized. They said it would be maybe 6 months before they ran any more and when they got more in they would send a return label so they could replace the barrel free of charge,which I thought was a bit strange knowing all the guns they assemble in the meantime would be undersized. Most quality control department fix or scrap defective parts when they're brought to their attention but I know barrels can't be cheap. Anyway,it's been over 7 months now so I thought I'd check to see if they knew anything about when they'd get some. Their reply was it would be a MINIMUM of another 6 months because of their current inventory and that unfortunately they've never changed their specs,but when they got more they'd send a return label. I don't think they have any intention of changing it myself and guess I'll have to try something else because I'm tired of the gun just sitting in the cabinet and not being able to use it. I've had it almost 2 years and have only shot 1 box of factory ammo through it trying to figure out why it wasn't shooting groups at all. I with the reflex sight.now I COULD use it with open sights but I can't shoot open sights at a very far distance accurately and this gun's for deer hunting which could easily be shooting at 40-50 yards.

P.S. For the price they charge for their guns you'd think they'd care a little more about their quality.

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Damn shame SH...what the hell happened to quality control with these gun makers.

Don't they realize their reputation rides on every gun going out that door...?!

3. squirrelhunter

Beats me,I was wondering the same thing. Guess as long as they can get them out for the Movie/TV industry that's all that matters...

We'll see what happens but I'm not holding my breath.... Look how long they've been making these guns and obviously they've been under spec from the beginning since their specs are undersized. It wasn't the employees fault it was management.

4. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

I feel your pain, I hope it will be worth the wait.

5. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I have a like situation with Taurus. In May the screw that holds the crane in the frame of the .357 revolver came out and is gone. Having Taurus site a lifetime warrenty I called them. game them the Ser# of the gun and the person on the phone said they would send one right out. A month went by so called them again. they said they were OUT OF STOCK and I was on the waiting list. With that said I thought others must have the same problem.

In Aug I called again....same answer...out of stock

In Oct I called again ....again....out of stock. I sent an email to the upper ups and stated that my revolver has been out of service for the lack of One little screw. Wernt they still cranking out guns with the screw. Take one off the assembly line and please send it. OR....replace the entire gun.

As of today ..... No Reply.

The screw in my .38 fits just fine. I cant find a screw of that size anywhere or I would just buy one ..... :mad:

6. squirrelhunter

Dang,sorry to here that. Makes you wonder how some companies stay in business.

7. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

I bought a Garrett Industries Silent Thunder OWB for my new S&W 66-8. That model is leather lined Kydex and legal for IDPA. The gun fits the holster perfectly but the retention screws were too short for how I wanted it adjusted for my use in IDPA. One phone call and the person I spoke with said they will send me both the 5/8" and 3/4" screws out to me (1/2" was installed). I told them just send the longer ones and if they are too long I could cut them. They are a regular 8-32 thread and any screw will work, but they have a really wide countersunk head to them and it fits the finishing washer nicely. I got an email later that day that they were mailed out and I received it about 3 days later. Exactly what I needed and exactly what I expected. My point is that customer service is possible and some companies build their reputation on it.

8. squirrelhunter

Yeah I know,I've never had trouble with Ruger or Thompson Center even though I've heard of people having trouble with T/C after they was bought out. That's the kind of Service you'd expect from a Company,just seems to me this one doesn't care,I may have to go over their heads.

9. SWO1

I have delt with some good ones. S&W, Savage, and I think the best is Rock Island. They also have a LIFETIME warrenty on the gun and not the owner. they pay shipping BOTH WAYS. Usually always get a PERSON on the phone first call and if not Email shortly. I think with firearms companys, and all for that matter, you have to realize the time of year and whats going on in the world. A week before, during, and a week after Shotshow, Rock Island is pretty well tied up. They have all their reps and techs at it rolling out new products. So things slow down for customer service during that time.

10. squirrelhunter

That's why I'm going to wait until after the Holidays to pursue it further.

11. SWO1

Got a call from TAURUS. they are sending out a screw for my .357. I guess someone read my Email to Headquarters. If I was them I would be SH** Canning someone(s) at the Customer Care center. they said it was NO Charge. Good for them as I wasnt paying for it anyway ... not from them. They said it was SS and not blued. I am still on the waiting list for a blued one ...... :confused: "IF" its the right screw I dont care if its Purple. A lifetime warranty should not take a Lifetime to Honor ..... :p Thats OK as I wont be buying any more Taurus Products.

12. squirrelhunter

Good,glad they're taking care of it in some way if not the correct way but maybe they will eventually. I've never owned a Taurus or Glock and have no intention to,course I've never owned a Colt or S&W either :D.

13. squirrelhunter

If my research is right the rail falls between a weaver and a picatinny they may have made it this size on purpose so you can use equipment designed for either rail,unfortunately my reflex doesn't have much of an adjustment on it like scope rings with screws,mine just has a tightening lever. I decided to go with a pistol scope instead so I wouldn't have to worry about the battery going dead at the wrong time and found an old set of see through scope rings in 1 of my shooting equipment boxes and they tighten up just fine. All I need now is to get a scope and see how it does. So in the meantime I'm not going to pursue the matter until I try it with a scope but it looks like it will be good to go. I also noticed on their Facebook page that the ones coming out this year have a weaver rail on top like mine and a picatinny rail underneath so they may have had other people complaining,don't know for sure.