Did you remember?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by 28Shooter, Apr 19, 2012.

1. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

In the dim light of dawn, 237 years ago today, April 19, 1775, 77 men under John Parker, a farmer and mechanic, stood on the green in Lexington, Mass., to face the British Army on it's way to Concord. Like him, his men were farmers, mechanics, tradesmen, shopkeepers - Minutemen - Patriots all. They stood for what they knew was right, for liberty, for freedom, risking all, and how many of us remembered today...

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware - but thanks for the reminder.
    Too many thoughts and emotions to post.
    Thank God for Patriots, then and now.

Grey

3. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Thanks for the reminder!

4. 28Shooter

I was so proud that both my kids (college students) remembered!

5. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

Was this the one where several were shot, both sides claiming the other shot first? In the last several years I've read three or four books on the revolution. I've loved learning how simple the fight was yet how difficult it was to keep the cause alive. By simple I mean the number of major engagements was far lower than I had thought.

6. 28Shooter

I don't think we'll ever know who fired the first shot but what a shot it was! For me, this is one of those "wish I were there" moments in history. To have the resolve to stand the line with my friends and neighbors in the name of liberty and freedom -wow! I think that we as Americans forget the sacrifice those men were so willing to make for the rights and freedoms we so often take for granted. Remind your children and grandchildren so that they will never forget.