Difference between JC Higgins 46C and Marlin 56?

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by Soccernut, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Soccernut

Soccernut Member

Can anyone tell me what the difference is (if any) between a JC Higgins 46C and a Marlin 56?

2. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

Yes, the stamping on the barrel and a bullseye in the walnut stock on the 56. Otherwise mechanically they are the same incredibly awesome rifle.

[​IMG]

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

^^...What Matt said...^^

BTW...Welcome to the Marlin Firearms Forum Soccernut !!

Seems like you've posted two questions, yet we know next to nothing about you...

How about taking some time to introduce yourself to our knowledgeable community by posting a few syllables in our Introductions sub forum...

Enjoy the Forum...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  4. Soccernut

Soccernut Member

Perhaps a Birch stock instead of Walnut. Maybe the C is for carbine noting that the barrel length was shortened from the first few years.

5. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

Probably a birch stock on the JC Higgins. I don't know about the C, could be carbine if down around a 20" barrel, otherwise perhaps just whatever the guy in charge wanted the model number to be.

6. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

J.C. Higgins Was a Sears brand name

7. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

The main difference is that you have one and I don't. ;)
    They are a fine rifle to own. Congrats.
    Welcome to the Marlin Forum.
    Many years ago, I owned a Marlin model 62 LeverMatic chambered in 30 carbine. Kick myself for ever letting it go. I found one at a gun show a couple years ago but it was chambered in 256 Win Mag. The 256 Win Mag ammo is nearly impossible to find so I passed on it.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015