Done with autos for CC

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by oldbrass, Feb 2, 2015.

1. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Dangit my trusty Bersa .380 has been on the fritz,been an excellent CC the past ten years til now, tried some different mags and ammo but it keeps jamming which is completely unacceptable for CC..Went to the toy store to snoop and found a Ruger SP101 .357...fits like a glove and is actually lighter than I thought it would be.....think I`ll just stick to the wheel, Had a Taurus 905 revolver but the wife adopted it full time..

Attached Files:

2. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Ruger make a good affordable gun just bought a 1911

3. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

I hear ya! S&W Model 60 no dash vintage 1979.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. straightshooter

straightshooter Well-Known Member

The SP101 is a fine wheel gun for sure. I had one in .327 caliber. The first time I shot mine in .327 mag I quit shooting it after 3 rounds. My hand thought it got hit with a sledge hammer. I ordered a set of Hogue grips for it and that made all the difference in the world.
    No doubt shooting yours in 357 will be anything but fun as it will kick even harder than the .327 does. One nice thing is you can practice shoot 38 specials and carry 38+P which isn't near as bad recoil and flash as the .357.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  5. oldbrass

Yep it may buck like a mule,But I can use 38+p also, I really liked how this revolver fit my hand .will report after I take it for a spin.

6. straightshooter

I am looking forward to hearing about your shooting experience with it. I carry a Ruger lcr .357 now as my main CC. I feel more confident with a wheel gun than a semi auto for several reasons. The LCR fits in my front jeans pocket very well.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  7. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

A good revolver. I missed a SP101 in .38 at my LGS by 15 minutes ..... :mad:
    I carry the Taurus 85 snub in .38 +P. I love it. Reload them up to ALMOST .357 level. My daughter carries the Taurus in .357. She shoots my .38+P reloads mostly.

My doctor got a Ruger Diamond Back in .380. Hated it, traded it back in for a Charter .380 revolver, loves it.

8. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Waiting on a range report LOL

9. straightshooter

Diamondback is the manufacturer not Ruger. Ruger 380 is the LCP.

10. oldbrass

Range report: Ammo-remington golden sabre 125gr jhp fired 10 rounds. Recoil is quite manageable but not something I`d shoot all day. DA trigger pull is quite stiff but smooth with a crisp brake.SA is ideal...not a target pistol but definately "affective accuracy" for CC target was 25 and 35 feet.......I LIKE IT

11. straightshooter

IMO you will like shooting it much more by installing Hogue Tammer grips. Huge difference to me. Check out rugertalk.com for a lot of info on any Ruger. A great bunch on that forum.
    Replacing the stock trigger with a kit I hear makes a big difference in the DA pull. Yep that stock DA is a stiff one on the SP101. I just thought DA was bad on the SP till I shot a Taurus Judge in DA. I thought the safety was on or it was jammed in DA. Dang near need a tow truck to pull that trigger and IMO pull is the correct wording not squeeze.
    IMO the Ruger SP101 and the GP100 are built like tanks. Two of the strongest revolvers made today. This is my GP100 Match Champion. I so like the smooth easy pull trigger on the Match Champion. Easiest DA in a full size revolver and comparable to the LCR trigger.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015