Even in tough times;

Discussion in 'Other Guns' started by greyhawk50, Jul 31, 2012.

1. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Didn't get what I really wanted but I bought a 20 ga. today.
    Really wanted a Stoeger Arms Condor 20 ga. O/U but wasn't willing to spend $449.00 right now. Although retired, we manage better than most, but being we have a fixed income and still have trips planned for the future.
    Because I've been invited to a 5 Stand Even (stationary sporting clays) in a couple months, I wanted a 20 ga. now so I bought a new Mossberg Maverick 88. At one time, they were $159, then $179, then $199 and now the MSRP is $229. I found this one new for $199 plus tax. It should work fine as a pleasure and hunting gun.
    All the reviews that I seen on-line give it a 5 Star Rating. Sounds like a decent gun for the money. Anyone have any experience with the Maverick??
    This photo is off the web but it's the same as mine.

Attached Files:

2. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Looks good Grey! any time i can add a new gun to the heard I take it. I had a Mossberg835 wish I still had it :mad: Believe me I didnt get rid of it by choice

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

3. greyhawk50

The only odd thing about this Mossberg is the crossbar safety in front of the trigger guard. I would prefer the thumb safety but it's not a big deal.
    As for the 5 Stand event, here is an explanation. #4 on the list.
    http://www.claytargetsonline.com/aboutthegames.php

Here are photos of that event in 2010. It's put on by a local church. It's a great time of fellowship, shooting and the food is great. Usually pulled pork, deep fried fish and carry-in dishes.
    As you can see, kinda, there is a thrower at the left and the right of the shooting line. Both throwing at an angle crossing in front of the shooters. There is a third thrower, doubles on report, straight behind and above the shooters. You get 4 birds total from each station and then you move. Each move puts a different angle on the birds. Each thrower is set at a different speed. Great fun!!!!
    There is also a practice thrower at the far left. Mostly for beginners and it includes safety training. The entire event is monitored for safety by all the experienced shooters. Photo 2 is the practice trap.

Grey

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  4. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

Grey, i have a Maverick 88 in 12 ga. with the 28" barrel. they are a decent gun, modeled after the Mossberg M500 pump shotgun. IMO, they are not great shotguns, but not bad shotguns. just kind of average. i think it will serve your needs pretty good. have fun and enjoy it. let us know how she holds up in the long haul.

5. tahoe2

tahoe2 Well-Known Member

Maverick/Mossberg

It's just an inexpensive 500 right? I've had two 500's, a 12 & a 20. The 20, I cut down the stock 1" for my son a few years ago, he's still shooting it, and loves it still.
    Never had a miss or bobble with either one of them. I'm sure the Mav will give you years of service. congrats.

6. kentuckycowboy2

kentuckycowboy2 New Member

I've had the 12 GA in the 88 for about 3 yrs now with not a problem one , I mostly use it for shooting high limbs out of trees & snakes around the house . Not the mention occasional targets . It serves it's purpose very well & looks & works as well as the day it was bought .

7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Congrats grey...like others have opined, the Maverick is Mossberg's

family of pump-actions that are a no-frills take on multi-purpose shotguns.

One color, basic black... equally at home in the woods, upland fields, or for home defense.

Good score...

( BTW...those Stoeger O/U's are nice...I own a Stoeger Uplander side by side )

8. moparman1911

moparman1911 Well-Known Member

590a1mossberg

i have owned mossberg pumps when mossberg made 16 gauge pumps.they are the working mans shotgun,no frills and ultra reliable and the mossberg 500 and 590 and 590a1 where the only shotguns to pass the 3,000 shots continuously with less than 2 failure to feed,out of the most expensive shotguns for military application. the lowly mossberg was the only one up to the task.i have many mossberg shotguns, but i own the military application 590a1 is my favorite to my mossberg collection. it is a milled receiver,a 835 ultra mag heavy barrel,ghost sites, holds six plus one, all metal trigger and trigger guard and the safety is all metal and the shell holder tube opens from the front for easy cleaning and is the only shotgun out there that holds a m4 ar15 bayonet i will post a couple pics but i love all mossbergs but this one is a beast..

Attached Files:

• 110.jpg
      110.jpg
      File size:
      32.5 KB
      Views:
    • 111.jpg
      111.jpg
      File size:
      32.8 KB
      Views:
    • 115.jpg
      115.jpg
      File size:
      24.9 KB
      Views:
    • 116.jpg
      116.jpg
      File size:
      28.3 KB
      Views:
    • 117.jpg
      117.jpg
      File size:
      29.3 KB
      Views:
    • 119.jpg
      119.jpg
      File size:
      52.4 KB
      Views:
    • 120.jpg
      120.jpg
      File size:
      49.2 KB
      Views:
    • 121.jpg
      121.jpg
      File size:
      47.1 KB
      Views:
    • 122.jpg
      122.jpg
      File size:
      34 KB
      Views:
  9. greyhawk50

Just an update; I've taken the Maverick shooting a couple times. Really like it. I put a LimbSaver slip on recoil pad on the butt stock, not for the recoil but to add 3/4" to the stuck. I have a 6' wing span and the stock was too short. It functioned flawlessly and I shot it pretty well. It isn't a heavy gun and that suits my needs.
    The only hick-up is when I'm loading the magazine. Sometimes it loads OK and other times, the shells hang up for some reason? Zero problems with feeding from the mag., chambering or ejecting.
    I also own a Mossberg 500 Bantam Youth Model in 410 with an extra 18.5" riot barrel that I bought for home defense. It had a problem with jamming by it letting 2 or more shells out of the magazine when I worked the action. I gave it some thought and decided, what the heck. So I removed the Shell Interrupter, chucked it in the vise and bent the tang about 2-3 mm., then reassembled. Now it works flawlessly as well.
    The 5 Stand Event is coming up on Oct. 6 (see pics. above). Really looking forward to a day of fantastic food, fun, fellowship and the smell of burnt gun powder. Lord willing, the weather will be nice. Actually, they recruited me to help set up the equipment on Friday morning. And you know that we will have to TEST everything thoroughly :rolleyes: before we can release it to the public.
    Aim small- miss small. :p

Grey

10. moparman1911

moparman1911 Well-Known Member

glad.

bob i am glad you are happy.that slight hiccup might be breaking in or the dowel catching on the follower but for a working mans gun i will take a mossy over any other.hey,if the military chose them and they had less than 2 failures to feed in 3,000 consistantly shooting and none of the higher priced brands could not. Gives testament to the durability of mossbergs product.i still have my old mossberg pumps in 16 gauge, which i love and a really nice mossberg semi auto in 16 gauge.love the mossies and wish they would bring back the 16 gauge in pump.i know everyone says go with a heavier 20 gauge round or a lighter 12 gauge round but i still like the 16 gauge. I even have a old double barrel year 1923 in 16 she shoots and is not a demascus barrel but with the patina on it and the wood all worn it looks great over my fireplace..enjoy...