Felons Need Not Register Firearms

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by Spoon, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

It's funny but NOT! Our govt. has been absolutely insane and void of any intelligent thoughts for quite some time it seems!

Here’s a conundrum for you to ponder.

U.S. Supreme Court's 1968 Haynes v. U.S. decision:

Haynes, a convicted felon, was convicted of unlawful possession of an unregistered short-barreled shotgun. He argued that for a convicted felon to register a gun was effectively an announcement to the government that he was breaking the law and that registration violated his Fifth Amendment protection against self-incrimination. The court, by an 8 - 1 margin, agreed, concluding:
    "We hold that a proper claim of the constitutional privilege against self-incrimination provides a full defense to prosecutions either for failure to register a firearm, or for possession of an unregistered firearm." (Summary from American Rifleman, March 2000, page 20)

So, when gun registration laws are announced, be aware that only lawful gun-owners are required to register their firearms. Unlawful owners are exempted from registration laws due to their constitutional protection against self-incrimination. Amazing but true.

http://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/390/85/

2. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

All I can say is WOW!!

3. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

That's the 2nd WOW I've rec'd on this from folks. Better dead than red might apply soon.

4. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I've often wondered how politicians ever graduated high school :rolleyes:.

5. bhale187

bhale187 Active Member Supporting

Or made it through kindergarten.

6. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

When your job description is 'professional liar' you don't have to even believe the words that come out of your own mouth. The Obama administration is packed full of the most liars I have ever witnessed and I have been voting since 1972.

We don't need any new laws...the first 10 were enough. If you can't obey those any new laws won't help. JMHO

7. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Nailed It

AMEN! Kinda mirror that other govt. prohibited taboo, The 10 Commandments :D

8. lostangel1171

lostangel1171 Member

I heard on the radio that the US Senate is still trying to push more gun restrictions down our throat. I don't think they are as concerned about criminals obeying these new laws, since their agenda is to disarm law abiding citizens. They will chip away at our rights little by little. Since Sandyhook, Persons with "mental issues" are currently in the govt's crosshairs. If you ever had a prescription for meds for depression, anxiety, PTSD, or are on record for even seeing a shrink, they will label you mentally unstable and take your guns away. It's already happening one person at a time. I wonder what group of people will be their next target? The elderly? The sick? Veterans? Retired law enforcement?

9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

The damn government will push gun control any way it can !!

Have you noticed that alot of these new gun control bills have provisions for ammo taxes ?!

Just another way to make ammo less affordable to the masses...and how about that Soros clown...?

Buying up all the gun manufacturers and putting them under one huge conglomerate ( Umbrella ) that only HE will control.

10. lostangel1171

lostangel1171 Member

Looks like sour grapes for the Obama Administration. His Gun Bill didn't get passed The Senate today. It's a big win for us, but I'm sure DiFi and her cronies won't give up. Just means we have to remain diligent about keeping up the pressure on our elected officials.

A friend of mine commented that the govt can raise our taxes and continue to lie to us daily, but when it comes down to Americans and their 2nd Amendment rights, there can be no compromise.